Old pipework | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Old pipework in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

Robert Tyrrell

Gas Engineer
Went to a property, yesterday, where the occupier wanted me to remove some redundant pipework but I had to leave it as it's an old steel gas pipe to where a previous occupier had a gas fire (Still arguing about my GSR entry so I'm not yet legal). The thing is that as I was looking at it it just didn’t seem right and Id like to know if it was just me or if it actually needs removing; The pipework is ½" steel and its fixed directly to the brick wall (The old metal hook type clips keep it against the wall) and it is inside boxing with no access. I traced the pipe and it travels across the room before disappearing somewhere into the ceiling void. [It] doesn't have any protection and looks to be about 30 years old or more. Like I said, I would like to know if I was right in telling them to get the landlord to have it removed.

Redundant gas pipes shall be disconnected from supply as close as reasonably practicable. Redundant Pipes which conveyed gas shall be sealed with approbate material

Is it redundant or currently unused?
If it's redundant because a boiler had been repositioned and the supply was capped at the old position then it should be cut back and capped as it won't be needed, however if it's a capped supply for a fire or cooker they could go back in again then it's perfectly acceptable to leave it capped , it's really the owners decision to pay to remove capped supplies, and it isn't mandatory remove the redundant ones but is considered good practice

Robert tyrell now you are mentioning the condition of the pipe is causing some concern, you didn't mention that in the original post, so is the MI showing signs of corrosion or is it just looking like a 30yr old pipe? The fact it's on bare brickwork doesn't matter as it's MI, but that's something you should know,

old iron pipes like that will be ok forevever and a day provided there not in an environment that causes damp ie there isnt rising damp affecting it and causing corrosion (due to the clips) or unwrapped and buried. Its quite thick walled so if its not rusty then should be ok. A full inspection and test would be preferable when you get your gsr entry though..if your worried get a gsr to have a look.

Similar plumbing topics

Ok I think I see what your saying mate, So...
Replies
Views
Anyway, you can always increase the boiler...
Replies
Views
Thank you
Replies
Views
Good suggestion as before rad removals they...
Replies
Views
We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
Back