Old rad valves | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Old rad valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
These valves you turn off with s slotted screwdriver. Are these the valves you balance with? Never seen em before.

Do you mean like old school or hospital type Rad valves?......regards Turnpin:biggrin:

No not hospital. Same size as normal valves but with a little plastic mushroom shaped screw cap

If there's a wheel head the other side then l''d assume so. Also a slot isn't very user friendly so I would class them as lockshields. I'm my experience if they are old slotted or allen key valves I try not to touch them as 9/10 times they leak.

this type?

dsc_1271.jpg

I tries to turn down an old lockshield that had a flat screwdriver slot, this thing stated to spray out!!! There was no stopping it, had to drain down & replace... So be careful lol!

None of the pictures above chaps. The caps that go on them are like trv caps but in the shape of a mushroom.

They all leak a bit but the cap has a washer in it

I had to touch them as was powerflushing. And yep, you were correct, all but one has started leaking. I have given this system a good flush and got some amazing amount of sludge out of it. But it is being a bugger as there are still 3 rads that get hardly any flow to them (although they did when doing the flush) only just when all other rads turned off. Wacked a screwdriver in pump and it stopped very easily so put a new pump in and it is a bit better but no where near as it should be

Mutley, - I know exactly what those valves are. They are "Scanflow" valves and that is the lockshield which has a slotted screw and the threaded cap has a rubber washer inside it. They are 1970s.
The rubber washer can be replaced with a standard new high pressure ballvalve washer which are identical size.
Be careful not to over tighten the cap on as heat over the years perishes the top of them.

Last edited:
Mutley, - I know exactly what those valves are. They are "Scanflow" valves and that is the lockshield which has a slotted screw and the threaded cap has a rubber washer inside it. They are 1970s.
The rubber washer can be replaced with a standard new high pressure ballvalve washer which are identical size.
Be careful not to over tighten the cap on as heat over the years perishes the top of them.

Thanks best, I have had one disintegrate in my hands this morning already. Grrr. I am pretty sure they are all knackered as I can still hear flow through them when fully closed.

Here's one that you can see the top and I have just noticed it says the name on it.image.jpg

Thanks best, I have had one disintegrate in my hands this morning already. Grrr. I am pretty sure they are all knackered as I can still hear flow through them when fully closed.

Ridiculous that they have only lasted 40 years! :smile:
They do really need replaced tbh. The wheel head in them are very tight and hard to turn. They have had their day.

Ridiculous that they have only lasted 40 years! :smile:
They do really need replaced tbh. The wheel head in them are very tight and hard to turn. They have had their day.

I totally agree. I think new rads and pipe as well

I'm glad I'm not the only plumber to work on someone's 20 or 30 year old heating system, where, when I start, half or less than half of the heating system is operating correctly - but no leaks.

When I assume I'm finished - 80% of the system is working and everything is leaking.

At least with experience you have the foresight to tell the customer what will most probably happen when you start playing around with old radiators and radiator valves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I wouldn’t even entertain turning them off...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks Knappers. Yes, good point - definitely...
Replies
Views
  • Question
They need to hold there g3 certificate eg...
Replies
Views
Thanks a lot, put lots more turns on + some...
Replies
Views
Back