old toilet flush valve? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss old toilet flush valve? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bigian

I have a very old,raised cistern, chain flush toilet that has recently stopped woking. The part that I'm guessing is a flush valve has come apart and I'm struggling to find a replacement or alternative. The part I'm talking about is a 1 cm thick disc with hook hole on top and a soft rubber seal underneath and a guide rod that fits down the flush pipe leaving the cistern. It's printed with "st mungo ross patent glasgow" but I've had no luck on google. Any ideas?

I know the one you mean looks like an ice hockey puck. You may need to get something made to fit this would be my bet. i managed to sort one similar ages ago. Check salvage yards as well.

Hello bigian,
Have you any success in locating spares for the Mungo & Ross flush valve? I've taken one apart thats 121 years old and just stopped working! I'm hoping to keep the cistern in use and finding a source of spare parts would be really useful. Its a brilliantly simple setup and l've tried making my own rubber gasket which partially works but l also need to resurface the top and bottom cups. Any help or advice appreciated. Thanks

I'll get a picture for you maybe tomorrow. The 'puck' as referred to above (sorry don't know its proper name) has worn over the years to the point the hole is oval. The underside of it can't get a seal because of this and also the surface of the other cup is pitted. If l can't find parts which l suppose is doubtful, l'm thinking of resurfacing it with something like plastic padding polished to a good surface, possibly also using some on the puck as well. I know the simplest thing may be to replace with a modern cistern but like the challenge of getting it working again.

definetly! if it can go 121 years don't see why it can't go another 121 years!

a far cry from many of the things built these days.

I took the valve around some plumbers today. Unsurprisingly none were able to suggest who to approach!! Flush valve 1.jpgCistern1.jpgFlush valve 2.jpg
The top picture shows the 'Puck' which l think has parted company from the centre ring used to open the valve. Its this l'm going to try and fix back on to the puck with some plastic padding. I'll sand it to a smooth finish to allow the rubber diaphram/washer to seal against it. The bottom cup will get a layer of padding to fill in any pitting and then hopefully may work again. I'll let you know how l get on.

I missed out this picture. Am l right in thinking these two bits should be one complete piece? As opposed to the puck with a hole in the middle which rests on the shoulder of the middle piece. The puck is made of lead and the middle of brass, I think. Thanks to number one son for holding them.

Flush Valve 3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had partial success rebuilding the flush valve. The pucks, both top and bottom were made of lead and without access to facilities to melt and mould in repairs l opted for plastic padding to fill the holes. They're both now repaired, painted and fitted back in the cistern. The rubber diaphram was impossible to find and l've tried all sorts of places to get something suitable. It needs to be about 3" diameter 1/8" thick, smooth on both sides and quite a soft sticky compound type of rubber. If you know where l can get some let me know . The toilet flushes but it takes 3 or 4 pulls of the chain to get a full flush. All in all its been worth the effort but I wonder if it'll last another 121 years!

Not trying to be funny but farming supply shops and tractor "garages" sell all sorts of stuff, including MDPE pipe and fittings, etc. At least round these parts they do.

Thanks dontknowitall that sounds a good idea. Certainly more in keeping with the heavyweight nature of the fittings. l'll try next time l'm passing one. Cheers

Many many years ago we had a ceramic syphon to fix and endless people had a go but the shape was so irregular a new plastic diaphragm just would not work. In the end my Dad solved the problem with a bit of old rubber wellington.

Not trying to be funny but farming supply shops and tractor "garages" sell all sorts of stuff, including MDPE pipe and fittings, etc. At least round these parts they do.
good shout dkia we have a scats down with us they sell all sorts

I'll try a bit of welly boot. So far my best result has been cut from an old hot water bottle! The original washer was in poor shape and dried out in a few days and then crumbled apart! Thanks for the suggestions

I'd love to repair this old valve!

You need something softer than a welly I would imagine. The brass/lead could be repaired by someone with an Oxy' torxh who knows what they're doing.

Soft foam might work better than rubber - the type that donut washers are made from. I'm sure it could be repaired, if you're willing to persevere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thank you very much. I had it round the other...
Replies
Views
Email these guys...
Replies
Views
I recently moved into a new flat and both...
Replies
Views
(Just bumping a few older threads, they will...
Replies
Views
The flush seal on these blister and leak they...
Replies
Views
Back