Oldest Boiler? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Oldest Boiler? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millsy 82

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I went to a large building today the boiler has been in since it was built in 1964 it was an old Ideal Brittania. Ideal even had to google it to try and find out what I was talking about.

A few months back went to a rugby club it was their biggest game of the season and the boiler was knackered water pouring out of it from everywhere and they needed hot water I walked in and how old is that thing "I dunno" a few moments later he came with his mate who installed it in the 60's bought second hand from a local factory and it was used for 10 years there.

Whats the oldest boiler you have worked on?

1970 Vintage Wife :wink5:

to be honest I can't remember what make it was but it was a massive cast iron thing in the cellar of a church. It took 4 people to lift each of the sections up the stairs on replacement.

Last edited:
About 1959 Powell Duffryn sectional boiler. Probably only about 40% efficient. Full of asbestos so I can't do much with it. Hotel and landlord won't replace, tenant is stuck with it. Asks me to condemn it so the landlord is forced to replace it.

have a 1980's dunphy burner on a ruston boiler about 3 metres long ! just got dismantled for scrap a month ago :(
the good thing abouth the old ones is no computers deciding modulations fan speeds or anything else.
they just work.

Oldest boiler I know is in a house from it was built. It is 1962 cast iron oil boiler (can't think of it's name) & with it's original burner which is I think has nearly all original parts except a big Danfoss oil pump a few years ago. The circulating pump is the original & rather large. That means it has been running for 50 years!

Ideal standard converted coal boiler to gas a bit heath robinson convertion but never any problems boiler installed 1950tees it was in a office building of a water company

I can't remember what this was called

It's installed in a DWP building. And is converted from solid to oil

Btw. The asbestos sign was screwed into the asbestos

I didn't work on it. I was doing a delap report

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350074060.899342.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350074087.501003.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350074103.646162.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350074119.360798.jpg

The top picture looks alot like the Ideal Britannia I worked on apart from mine was coated with asbestos like that had a galv casing around and the asbestos wasnt apparently under neath it

Have a Hoval TK series 500,000 BTU boiler still fitted with original NuWay burner which is the same age as me (won't give any more away!) but it's nowhere near as old as the other one I mentioned:wink5:

Again, it's an oil guzzling leviathan which is in an hotel which the landlord won't upgrade for the tenant.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I moved into a 14 year old house a few months...
Replies
Views
Thanks some good ideas. Just as an aside if we...
Replies
Views
Safety valve should not be discharging into...
Replies
Views
Hi , been to service a sime format 100c. Next...
Replies
Views
V
I am looking for some advice please on a...
Replies
Views
Vajolirojah
V
Back