On/off peak immersion questions | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss On/off peak immersion questions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PaulWooder

Hi, I have a Water tank with two immersion heaters. The off peak switch heats the bottom immersion and the on peak switch heats the top immersion. my problem is the top immersion does not give enough water for a bath in the evening. can I rewire the on peak wire into the bottom immersion heater too? So that when I do flick the on peak switch a whole tank is heated. I know this will cost me more but I need a tank full early evening. I have also purchased a timer so I was going to do the rewiring as above and put a timer on the on peak switch. any advice would be much appreciated.

Consult an electrician because you could potentially be allowing the bottom immersion to draw 6kW which could result in a fire.

Thanks, would it be better to just rewire by wiring the on peak to the bottom immersion on its own Nd then using a timer to control it? Does the on peak switch shut itself off during economy 7 hours would you have thought?

No you can't do as originally proposed.
The MCB feeding the top heater will trip, it and the cable and the switch are not rated for a total of 6kw (2 x3kw).

A timer won't help.

The simplest fix would be to swop the supply to the top and bottom so E7 off peak heats the top and on peak heats the bottom.

Thanks, would it be better to just rewire by wiring the on peak to the bottom immersion on its own Nd then using a timer to control it? Does the on peak switch shut itself off during economy 7 hours would you have thought?

No it stays on

If the cylinder is cold in the evenings because all the hot water has been drawn off by other users, then you might have to consider using the bottom (whole tank) immersion heater on full rate electricity, and using a timer to control the heating times as far as possible. You would have to have the cheap rate wiring disconnected from the lower immersion heater altogether.

If however there is a tank full of hot water at the start of each morning, and it is not used up by others by the evening, then the heat is being wasted heating the air. Additional insulation (being careful not to cover the immersion heater caps) might well provide evening hot water at little additional cost. If there is not a tank full of hot water at the start of each morning then the lower immersion heater or its thermostat may need replacement.

As Mike Jackson has said, connecting the two elements in parallel would create a draw of 6kw, which could not be satisfied by either on peak or off peak circuit alone.

No you can't do as originally proposed.
The MCB feeding the top heater will trip, it and the cable and the switch are not rated for a total of 6kw (2 x3kw).

A timer won't help.

The simplest fix would be to swop the supply to the top and bottom so E7 off peak heats the top and on peak heats the bottom.

If I do this do you think I would have enough for two people to shower in the morning? Surely by convection the lower part of the tank would heat too over a 7 hour e7 period

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Except your response got me thinking. Going...
Replies
Views
  • Question
They are easy to find by Googling once you...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I think DJ only ever used the long, bath...
Replies
Views
C
I’m not posting here to agree to do/looking...
Replies
Views
B
  • Question
Hi everyone, I have a Santon Premier Plus...
Replies
Views
Bridog
B
Back