on site fires and cookers experience wanted | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss on site fires and cookers experience wanted in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

GQuigley67

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I'm going to do cookers and fires at college sometime soon possibly in the next month so I can get GSR I was just wondering if anyone in the glasgow area does alot of these ? would do it for free just wanting some on site experience as theres only so much you can learn in college any help would be much appreciated thanks.

In my experience you will need a lot of experience on fires, I hardly come by one that is a perfect install and you can't be too carefull with them

totally agree the thought of installing one on my own is scaring me, not so much cookers but definetely the fires.

Are you talking about installing or servicing fires Gquigley? I fit cookers and hobs for IKEA around the central belt. I also service a lot of fires with subby work, although its round about Livingston. You're welcome to tag along if its not too far out.

you could try B&Q etc for kitchen fitters details for the cookers, and for fires you really need a council/housing Association contractor what area of Glasgow are you in? DON'T GO TO LIVINGSTON, they are all too miserable to make you tea

Lol, its not that bad, nowadays they sometimes have coffee too Kirk!

well mostly all aspects of the fires, i know they teach u how to inspect and service in college but not install, I am in glasgow southside near castlemilk I have my own car and alot of free time at the moment might aswell put it to some use.

Thanks for the offer CES I'll keep that in mind if I don't find somewhere closer too home

Last edited:
what about a wee look in yellow pages for gas fire install companies, contact them to offer free labour to build your portfolio, they can only say no, tell them you are desperate to learn from a reputable local company and thats why you phoned them first, doent matter if you say the same to 6 firms they wont know will they

do I need a portfolio having got my CCN1 and CEN1 ? I was under the impression you don't need one....need the experinence though.

do I need a portfolio having got my CCN1 and CEN1 ? I was under the impression you don't need one....need the experinence though.

you 100% do not need a portfolio, as you are a CAT1, "EXPERIENCED, FULLY QUALIFIED, ALL SINGING, ALL DANCING GAS GUY" therefore if you go back to a training centre/college you go straight in, technically you dont need to take training, you can do assessment only, and if you are paying for training having just recently passed i'm not sure it will be worth the money, a lot of fires and cookers are in CCN1, apart from tuning into hearth requirements and flued appliances needing to be hard piped, flueless fires need to have FGA reading taken and assessed but again this could have been part of your CPA1, and cooker install requirements (height of bayonet, stability bracket/chain. clearances from combustible kitchen furniture etc etc)
a lot of places use fires and cookers to carry out CCN1 practicals so you should be fairly familiar with a lot of it.

Yeh I did do that in CCN1 2 years ago, just needed a refreshment I forget the ventilation part mostly I know that 6kw should be fine unless there is a fan or something similar in the room/surrounding room ? anything above 6kw you need ventilation?I know how to do spillage and flue test, I have my books I'll prob have a read through them again and just book the assessments then.

But....What I am worried about is if I were to go and install a fire after just doing my assessments only and no on site experience, I wouldn't feel very confident...Am I right ?

Also I am doing my CPA1 training and assessment on the 31st, missed out on it in college. still haven't got dates for cookers/fires.

Last edited:
Cardonald College, Prince's trust have gave me a cheque for £500 addressed to Cardonald so that'll go towards my training and assessment costs and I still owe them £275 towards my HNC course..

Cardonald College, Prince's trust have gave me a cheque for £500 addressed to Cardonald so that'll go towards my training and assessment costs and I still owe them £275 towards my HNC course..

my assessments are due in March, i will prob go there as im registered with a few different certification bodies, and cant do assessments anywhere where i know the paperwork, i think Cardonald are City & Guilds so i will be fine there, been before yrs ago a good centre with good gas guys

yeh its good i was at college there done my acs training and assessments the leturers are good could have a good laugh with them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

It would cost quite a bit to move the...
Replies
Views
Hi I’m 33 and an experienced plumber I’m...
Replies
Views
N
  • Article
grade B ld1 conventional fire detection system...
Replies
Views
Nelly72
N
Good afternoon, I have very recently completed...
Replies
Views
Back