One Pipe System Ideal Mexico 2 Boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss One Pipe System Ideal Mexico 2 Boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Hello friends - I really struggle to understand my heating and hot water system

I posted my question on Diynot but it ended up being five pages and couldnt get to the bottom of it and I thought worth asking the elders on here for their view - Hot water temp is 40 Degrees - Ideal Mexico 2 Boiler - https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/hot-water-temp-is-40-degrees-ideal-mexico-2-boiler.623404/

Questions
1) Is my system fully pumped or not - It appears I have a pump but then rely on gravity to get water back to boiler for heating and also for hot water. I think this is a hybrid and I dont know the terminology - Many engineers who come here are suprised at it and so am I
2) I do not have hot water even if boiler on max demand after cylinder change - Is it because of the pipe bends or cylinder needing to be gravity coil type? Advice from DIYnot has been add a pump after the two port valve but that seems really strange given it worked before orhave a new cylinder made

Help so much appreciated

What I know
1) Ideal mexico 2 bed 125 heat only boiler - There is one flow pipe (3 inch white bore pipe) and two returns (one return from centra heating and one return from hot water cylinder). There is a DAB 65/135 pump on the boiler which pushes the water upwards
2) Cold water and FandE tanks in loft
3) Only one control for hot water cylinder on system
4) Certain I have a one pipe system

Old cylinder is picture below and new cylinder below - Old cylinder did heat up very nicely but new one does not anymore - No changes to pump speed and 2 port valve in manual mode

Old
1706022768085-jpeg.330443

New
1705694294729-jpeg.329909

Picture of the boiler and pump please ?

Any more pipes around the boiler (left hand side)?

Easy was to tell if gravity turn heating on pump should run / have power

Turn hot water on inc making a call on the cylinder stat etc pump won’t have power

That cylinder isn’t suitable for gravity heating due to the coil having a high resistance

Any more pipes around the boiler (left hand side)?

Easy was to tell if gravity turn heating on pump should run / have power

Turn hot water on inc making a call on the cylinder stat etc pump won’t have power

That cylinder isn’t suitable for gravity heating due to the coil having a high resistance
1) There is one more pipe at the back of the boiler which is a raditor return - There is also a gas pipe behind the boiler

2) I always have to turn on heating to get hot water - That is because there is one flow pipe and a two port (which I put in manual mode) to divert to hot water cylider

I am not convinced that I have gravity hot water - I have a pump at the boiler which shoots water up the white flow pipe and that is teed t the hot water cylinder

How can I tell what system i have

1) There is one more pipe at the back of the boiler which is a raditor return - There is also a gas pipe behind the boiler

2) I always have to turn on heating to get hot water - That is because there is one flow pipe and a two port (which I put in manual mode) to divert to hot water cylider

I am not convinced that I have gravity hot water - I have a pump at the boiler which shoots water up the white flow pipe and that is teed t the hot water cylinder

How can I tell what system i have

Sounds like the wiring has been altered when they installed the two port

The white left pipe in the cylinder cupboard goes to the heating tank doesn’t it ?

Sounds like the wiring has been altered when they installed the two port

The white left pipe in the cylinder cupboard goes to the heating tank doesn’t it ?
I agree it has been wired wrongly - Thats a small matter though

The white left pipe is 3 inch pipe - This is the main boiler flow - It is teed for the hot water flow and also runs into the loft where it drops to the radiators - It is the one main flow pipe for heating and hot water

Can you take a picture of one of your rads please?

Here is an example. Many radiators are like that with hot at top and flow at bottom

I am certain it is a one pipe system because I had a viessman engineer come to install a system who told me it is a one pipe

Most pipework is 3 inch or 2 inch steel pipework and there are slight drops in the loft to keep the water moving
IMG_0638.jpeg

i was told on the diynot forum that the flow pipe to the hot water cylinder is not horizontal but inclines upwards and could catch air and be airlocked

I found that difficult to understand because the air vent is much higher then even the highest part of the flow pipe but I am not experienced in this

What options do I have ? So far I think

1) rebend the pipework so it is downwards inclined
2) add a pump after the two port valve
3) use 28mm instead of 22mm for the flow pipe to hit water cylinder

I anyway want to replace the boiler with a heat only inter gas 30kw but before I do that I need to make sure the system works properly otherwise it’s thousands wasted

200% won’t be the reason the cylinder isn’t suitable for gravity due to the coil so you will have to swap the cylinder or convert to a fully pumped system eg install another 2 port on the rad circuit

New boilers don’t really like 1 pipe systems so I would be advising repipe

Similar plumbing topics

Who said plastic 28/22mm copper tube and mlcp...
Replies
Views
Is your boiler the 'Ideal Logic Heat 12' (i.e...
Replies
Views
A
Are you sure it’s still vented? Should have...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hi Lou, It's been the same since 19th May...
Replies
Views
Back