Only three radiators working. | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Only three radiators working. in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

M

malthouse

I appreciate any advice here. Quick synopses of sorry tale. Plumber did wet work on my combi central heating & it was only when I got the boiler commissioned that gas guy told me I had a one pipe system. Got plumber back to install two pipe system but from then on its been hell. One pipe system worked & all rads got hot but only with all lockshields open & TRV's removed. When plumber left, second time only 3 rads worked & he promised to be back to sort it. By the way, plumber no longer taking my calls! Having run out if money I went on the net to check what he'd done was correct, only to discover I had a combination of the two pipe systems and no matter how hard I've looked, I cant find the answers so here goes. I've now got a flow & return to all radiators and the same three are heating up. 1, 5 & 6 are working. 2, 3 & 4 are stone cold. Rad 3 is tee'd from the hall on a 3 meter length of pipe. Should he/I have run flow & return right up to rad? That would potentially answer problems with rad 2. Also, not all flows are going through TRV & my return pipe starts at return of first rad so could that also be the issue? I've bled the system to within an inch of its life and have tried switching off 1, 5 & 6 to balance but it makes no difference. I don't mind putting the hours in to fix it and have got used to climbing over joists but I'm just not getting it so any advice would be really appreciated.

Hi malthouse,

You have approached the best C/h & Plumbing site on the web -

There are 100's of experts on here whom give their advice happily and free. In order
to help yourself - can you put up a working diagram & maybe some pics of your installation.

The pics of 'under the boiler and pipework ' can really give us some clues about the competance
of you installer -Then we can advise - also some idea of your location tends to assist

We will all await your next post Centralheatking

Sounds like you have part 1 pipe system and part 2 pipe system, did you remove all old pipework ? or try to adapt old system ? could have some pipework crossed,

1 & 2 pipe systems can be done but unless you get someone in who knows what they are doing you haven't got a chance.

Someone might be close to you if you post up your location, if you have ran out of money then the hard truth is you need to save up and get it rectified.

Also by the time someone has spent time looking at what has already been done and the time taken to sort it all out properly it might be worth re piping the whole system as a 2 pipe and cutting your losses.

need an expert to ascertain the problems, then offer the rectification to original plumber, if no joy get the work done and small claims procedure against original plumber (who probably isnt)

if the said plumber is not 'taking' your calls anymore, just use a friends phone to ring him. He will think it's a potential new customer and foolishly answer. Then kindly encourage him to come and sort it out. I doubt he is aware of how to resolve the issue though.

Sounds like u employed a muppet! Wasn't a plasterer aswell was he?

Sure if u post location se one will help. A one pipe isn't a disaster just need a clever plumber / fitter to fix it.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Will be a 15-60 then prob ups2 Green lights ?
Replies
Views
Manual rad valves eg no trv unless it’s...
Replies
Views
Since it became normal for trv's to be bi...
Replies
Views
Yes I’d do that too, just shut the radiator...
Replies
Views
You seem to have got it sorted, but for future...
Replies
Views
Back