open end gas pipes in void props? | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss open end gas pipes in void props? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

kon

hi all. i work for a local housing trust,plumber/gas. my main duties are to do with gas safety,we receive up to 10 void props a week and i carry out a gas safety(visual mainly) and soundness test fill out a cp12. the problem is when i attend to do a gas cap off,the prop as a gas open end where cooker bayonet as been taken. & also a lot of voids are getting broke into & boilers & copper pipework being stolen,again leaving gas open ends. i record all this on my cp12 form and make the gas safe before i leave. i inform the inspector & manager of the voids(both former joiners,no clue about gas) that they need reporting to riddor(they never do).. does anyone know who's responsible? me or the housing trust?. could'nt get a straight answer when i called gassafe.. thanks for reading,any replies would be great.

Was the meter capped?

no. thats my job. we cap off (disc in meter) when prop becomes void. then another contractor does a turn on and test when prop is re_let. cheers

You are as the competant inspecting person,how can an unqualified person report anything
Also do not understand what you mean by mostly visual inspection to fill a cp12 out,this can not be done,physical checks and tests have to be made

Would add if you are saying it is common practice to find open pipework when flats are vacated that further preventive action be taken to provent this as even if riddar reported,if something happens and it is discovered that the housing trust or whoever let tenants leave open pipework on a regular basis ,heads will roll and rightly so

Imho

Last edited by a moderator:
you will never stop the break ins and wont ever be liable, and you will never really stop the tenants stripping out the cooker and leaving an open end, it is RIDDOR reportable but nothing will come of it, so you need to minimise the potential damage, to do this in social housing you need a robust reporting procedure via the letting side of the housing, whe the tenant informs the housing they are leaving the property a gas engineer should call that day to cap the gas supply, it is very easy to do as the letting officer contacts maintenance gives address and date and a job is raised to cap the gas, at least then if there is a break in they cant cause much damage, it also reduces the chance of squatters as they have no gas.
HOWEVER, as usual it falls down in the real world, in my experience the tenant moves out at the weekend and hands the keys back on the monday, so unless it is done via call out it will lie empty all weekend with an open end and a passing ECV, but the bottom line is the housing is liable for whatever happens not you, as long as you attend to the cut and cap on the day it is arranged,

There is presumably nothing to stop you submitting RIDDOR reports on line via the HSE website?

It needs to be brought up with management to cover yourself. If they do not act upon the information you have passed up the food chain then you can if ever required prove that you brought the potential risks to your line manager/s. Put it in writing with dates etc and keep a copy of it and any replys.

If all else fails riddor, riddor, riddor........ if the hse contacts your managment they may ask for proof of how they manage the risks which could make them take it alot more seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Funny
My approach to everyone is that there looks to...
Replies
Views
Mate, all you need to do is everything, to...
Replies
Views
Relax bud, why concern yourself, you reported...
Replies
Views
My mother has a rented-out property at the...
Replies
Views
Back