Open fire Back boiler and Combi boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Open fire Back boiler and Combi boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
We got an older not to energy efficient oil boiler camray 5 util with an open fire back boiler fitted as our central heating and hot water supply. there are storage tanks for hot and cold water.
We would like to take the old boiler out and have new Combi boiler fitter doing away with the water storage tanks and giving us better economy energy efficiency from the oil and better hot water pressure as well, but we like to keep the back boiler in the open fire as well.
is this possible some how?
Thanks

First thing to note is combi oil boilers are expensive, complex and more likely to breakdown and therefore expensive repairs.
Although it can be possible to have a solid fuel boiler heating only radiators, have a think on whether you will actually use the fire often.
Personally I would generally prefer a modern condensing heat only (non combi) oil boiler and an unvented cylinder if mains flow & pressure allows, plus a multi fuel stove that has no boiler.

I'd go for a standard condensing oil fired boiler supplying your hot water and heating. Then, in the fireplace fit a small log burner. That way you still get a real fire when you want it but without the open chimney.

I presume you must have a twin coil standard open vented hot water cylinder? Replace it with a thermal store with the stove and oil boiler supplying it and then you can have your hot water at 3 bar pressure. The Camray 5 isnt a bad boiler as far as efficiency goes - you may be better looking at more thermostatic controls and a programmable room thermostat first. (Combi boiler isnt appropriate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

when I removed the back coal saver I can now...
Replies
Views
Ok, thanks, so if it can not be accessed from...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
Thanks for this, much appreciated. Andrew
Replies
Views
Back