Open Oil/Back boiler system frequent overspill | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Open Oil/Back boiler system frequent overspill in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Flagstaffview

2 Storey detached house with Open Vented system Oil + Coal Back boiler stove. The problem is the Oil when it comes on often causes hot water to blow up into the Central Heating Feed thank.

I have talked to another plumber about the issue and he suggested up=sizing the Vent pipes to 28mm and I had already made them go as HIGH as possible in the roof before bending them back towards the tank.

Speed of the Heating Pump is I.

Another Plumber has suggested "capping" the oil system with a stop=end and put a 3=bar safety valve onto the oil boiler - or maybe it would be safer to put a 3 = bar safety valve onto the end of the Vent pipe too!

The problem has arisen due to Upgrading the old Oil boiler to a new Condensing One and the Main Heating pipes from this boiler come into the HoT-water Cylinder at the Floor level 2 rather than entering the house at the ground floor. This means the "Hot water in the Central heating" is taking the ESCAPE route up the VENT rather than working its way around the radiators!

Its my own home! which is not good for my PR! Help

Your first plumber obviously did it wrong & you should insist he sorts it.
What i would like to know is where do the new pipes from the oil boiler join into in the airing cuboard. There will be two 28mm pipes (gravity primaries from back bolier) with vent & feed pipes joined into a coil on the hot cylinder. Your new pumped pipes should NOT be connected to those pipes!! Pumped circuit shouldn't join to gravity circuit. Does your back bolier heat up when oil boiler is on?
If they are correct & connected to the heating pumped circuit, then it should be simple to fix, but requires a heating guy to look at system first.
Where are you in NI? Someone could take a look at it for you.

Last edited:
Your first plumber obviously did it wrong & you should insist he sorts it.
What i would like to know is where do the new pipes from the oil boiler join into in the airing cuboard. There will be two 28mm pipes (gravity primaries from back bolier) with vent & feed pipes joined into a coil on the hot cylinder. Your new pumped pipes should NOT be connected to those pipes!! Pumped circuit shouldn't join to gravity circuit. Does your back bolier heat up when oil boiler is on?
If they are correct & connected to the heating pumped circuit, then it should be simple to fix, but requires a heating guy to look at system first.
Where are you in NI? Someone could take a look at it for you.

posters son here the plumber. we located in killeavy south Armagh south of newry. the boiler is a firebird 44kw. before it was a 28kw but as 9 extra radiators where installed i resized the boiler. but as the 44kw has 1 1/2 bsp tapings i bushed it down to inch bsp. and upsized the pump. the heating vent goes into the roof space in 15mm copper which is now upsized. to 28mm from the floor of the attic to top of attic.

Apologies, - I didn't realise you are a plumber. Yes, a drawing of pipes would be good. The vent & feed pipes for back bolier will need to stay open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Ok, thanks, so if it can not be accessed from...
Replies
Views
hi, no current pipework in concrete i believe...
Replies
Views
Sounds like a pump failure, gravity will heat...
Replies
Views
You need a new service engineer not a new...
Replies
Views
I once had a similar experience with my old...
Replies
Views
Back