Open pipe coming from bathroom waste | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Open pipe coming from bathroom waste in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

New to the forum and have a pretty limited knowledge of this stuff so please bear with me.

I've got an issue in bathroom with an open pipe coming from the main waste pipe. I've included a picture. The bottom pipe is coming from the bath waste and running uphill (seems wrong) to the main waste which is off to the right of the picture. Then the pipe above it is open half way along the wall and also runs to the main waste pipe. There is obviously a terrible smell coming off it.

Seems an odd setup to me so I'm just after some opinions an why this would be as it is and what I can do about it. My first thought would be to block it off but for all I know that means the toilet could explode :)

Thanks in advance for any help.

John. IMAG0403.jpg

The top open pipe would have been for a Hand basin originally.
Block it off.

Bath waste has a nice back fall on it, as you suspect it is wrong. If the bath trap will allow see if you can prop it up so that it falls all the way from the bath to the stack (main waste pipe)
The other is an old waste for a basin or other fitting which has been removed in the past & not correctly capped off, stick an old cloth in it for the moment to stop the smells then get yourself the following to cap it off properly.
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plu...n/sd2884/Compression+Straight+Coupling/p85727 40mm

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plu...t+Weld/sd2885/Solvent+Weld+Access+Plug/p49547 40mm

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Now that you've said it the open pipe being for an old basin makes perfect sense. It looks like the bath waste rises to the point in the photo and then drops again towards the main waste. I'll have a play and see what I can do.

Thanks very much for the help.

John.

Definitely try to get even grade on bath waste. Also investigate if a different trap on the bath would allow a positive fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

L
  • Question
The toilet waste needs to have a drop always...
Replies
Views
10 o’clock / 45 degrees would be better than...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Could you post a picture of the shower trap...
Replies
Views
Would cap both off separately cut just below...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Or there’s no clip and overtime it’s dropped
Replies
Views
Back