opening cold tap has effect on boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss opening cold tap has effect on boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon F

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I think I read a similar thread on this but can't find it.

glowworm combi, turn on a cold tap and most times the fan ( I think fan just from listening )
runs for a minute or so. is this just a glitch that sometimes happens?
is the solution simply to fit a check valve on the cold feed, if so does it also need a mini expansion vessel?
or is there something else going on?
:stupid:

Dc valve and shock arrestor will cure the problem. I had this on a Worcester.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Blue flag installed a boiler at my mums house about 5 years ago, it did this. When asked they explained that the boiler senses the use of the cold tap and pre-heats the DHW heat exchanger in anticipation of the hot tap being used. I liked the excuse to be honest ;)

Usually caused by air trapped in a dead leg on the hot water circuit somewhere Simon. Just checking but you mean a check valve and arestor on the feed to the boiler yeh?

Usually caused by air trapped in a dead leg on the hot water circuit somewhere Simon. Just checking but you mean a check valve and arestor on the feed to the boiler yeh?

thanks for the tip about dead legs, might have a look at that.
its actually at a new place my mum is moving into, I am currently refitting all the bathroom,
but noticed the fan/pump in the boiler runs when you use the cold.
I did some tests today, the problem is only when the cold is closed quickly, if you slowly shut the cold tap its ok.

so yes I was thinking would a check valve on the cold into the boiler resolve it?
or would a shock arrester be better?
-:bucktooth: daft question - if both were needed which way round?

How does a shock arrester work? What is it used for?

had a dead leg issue before on new heat install on council bash where after couple mins the hot just ran cold off and on now its been mentioned

If you put a DC in you will need the shock arrestor to take up the expansion on the hot water as it won't be able to expand back down the pipe.

Atag and Ideal both ask for them to be fitted if their is a water meter.

worcester ,ideal and fitted baxi other day which asked for this, think most others are following suit,
also another gsr fitter i know was pulled up for no prv ,non return and shock arrestor on a gsr inspection on the boiler he installed (dont know what model)

thanks for the tip about dead legs, ......
-:bucktooth: daft question - if both were needed which way round?

As mentioned already Simon, If you fit a check valve you'll need somewhere for water to expand into, even such a small amount as what's held in the p-hex. You fit the arrestor down stream of the valve. If i suspect a dead leg I'd be asking the custard if they'd previously had a cylinder fitted or any alteration on pipework that could account for a now disuesed piece of pipe where air could have collected?

As mentioned already Simon, If you fit a check valve you'll need somewhere for water to expand into, even such a small amount as what's held in the p-hex. You fit the arrestor down stream of the valve. If i suspect a dead leg I'd be asking the custard if they'd previously had a cylinder fitted or any alteration on pipework that could account for a now disuesed piece of pipe where air could have collected?

the combi has been fitted in the last couple of years, presume it was from an open vent before.
the pipework is a mess, so would not be surprised if there is a dead leg up in the loft, its a bungalow with pipes going up from boiler and drops down to rads.
will have a look in the loft, thanks Diamond

dead legs tend to cause the boiler to run on after the tap is shut removing a dead leg will probably make the problem worse as it will be acting as a buffer
not come across the boiler needing all the extra bits yet but it makes sense my argument is if its needed it should be fitted to the boiler they wouldnt sell a combi with no pump

dead legs tend to cause the boiler to run on after the tap is shut removing a dead leg will probably make the problem worse as it will be acting as a buffer
not come across the boiler needing all the extra bits yet but it makes sense my argument is if its needed it should be fitted to the boiler they wouldnt sell a combi with no pump

A dead leg pocket of air acts both ways Steve. turning a cold tap on reduces the overall pressure throughout the water system, hot and cold. When you turn the cold off the water runs back into the hot water circuit as it compresses the air once more either making the turbine switch or lifting the diaphragm momentarily ... Regards fitting them they use too :) Myson Midas, Saunia Duvals, and the old Vaillants had the arrestors fitted as standard... I don't think manufacturers should accommodate for poor installation into their design though personally! When a boiler conversion is undertaken the plumber should know that dead legs will cause these issues and be aware that expansion needs to be absorbed somehow IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Already covered! If you look in the older vaillants, they all had shock arresters integral. I suppose it's cheaper to make them without these days but specify them in the book! Also they are physically smaller now so might be a bit awkward getting them in.

Dead leg acts like a shock absorber, so when you turn hot tap off the pressure of the water compresses the air trapped inside. It's the time it takes to compress the air that causes the lag between tap off and boiler shutting down, more air longer the wait.

Similar effect when first filling a system up, it takes ages to get the needle moving because you are compressing all the air within the pipes. Once there air is out a small blast on the filling loop will bring the pressure right up quickly.

EDIT:Just realised i've just ranted on about everything that was said in the post above! Sorry diamondgas :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Yes you should be able to cut them off in...
Replies
Views
W
As above, it could be preheat function if you...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I would of clipped the pipework but it is...
Replies
Views
You'd have to have gas meter removed if you...
Replies
Views
Back