Opinion on my boiler quote? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Opinion on my boiler quote? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

d4nnyboy

Known my buddy since infant school so I gave him a bell to fit me a new combi boiler.
He's all nice and legal and no cowboy, got a quote to fit one at £1600 inc vat.
I'v offered to rip up floor boards ect to speed the job up, I'm no stranger to fitting rads but a boiler is a little out of my league (and illegal)
That price is to fit the new combi boiler about 2 meters away from where the old one was.

My girlfiend and her dad thinks it's a bit expensive and I'm trying to assure her that my old school buddy wouldn't rip us off. So do any of you plumbers think that this quote is too much? just right? or a bargain?
A rough price break down:
Boiler, flu and clock - £900
Labour - £700

I personally ain't bothered, I just want someone to do a proper job but if I get some opinions off other plumbers I can roughly gauge that price and tell my gf and her dad to shut their pie-holes :D

Any input would be appreiciated :)

You forgot to cost in the powerflush, scale reducer, fittings, tube maybe some TRVs , inhibitor and so on......
If he does a pukka job you have got a good deal.

Seems reasonable enough, Go get a quote off British gas and show that to your father in law.

I charged £400 (for labour) for my last one. Thought I was pushing the boat out but then I did beat 5 other plumbers to the job!

Don't forget that £320 of that quote is VAT.

I think that's a fair price.

Taking in to account the " The old school pal" may well help if you pay part the friendly way coulped with the costs of pipe, fittings, wiring, flue and associated time spent surveying the job its a good price. £1333 plus vat which probably included a guarantee. I have heard of people spinning it out over three days and charging twice as much. Its a good days work which does not disrupt the heating and hot water for an extended period. Go for it. Good Luck

Well if thats what you charge for labour for few hours of work i'm moving to where you live !!!!

Its a good price, he cannot be much of a mate if you dont trust him enough to question his price on here.

If your family think it is to expensive, one of you can train for several years, pay several thousand's to become gas safe registered, pay for van, tools and accountant, and then you could pop a boiler in for free.

Its a good price, he cannot be much of a mate if you dont trust him enough to question his price on here.

If your family think it is to expensive, one of you can train for several years, pay several thousand's to become gas safe registered, pay for van, tools and accountant, and then you could pop a boiler in for free.

Here here......I'm sure people think the training,fees,insurances,vans,diesel and tools for professional tradesmen are free!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

I have 100% faith in him, I'v known him for a very long time and we've always had a top laugh, the point of this thread is so I can shove my laptop in my girlfriends face and show her these replies and then politely tell her and her dad to STFU!

I have 100% faith in him, I'v known him for a very long time and we've always had a top laugh, the point of this thread is so I can shove my laptop in my girlfriends face and show her these replies and then politely tell her and her dad to STFU!

Lol.....fair enough. You do that.

Here here......I'm sure people think the training,fees,insurances,vans,diesel and tools for professional tradesmen are free!

I'm not questioning the long and expensive road it is to become a fully fledge plumber, I'm not after a charity job.
As soon as he told me the quote my immediate response was "book us in mukka"

My girlfriend can't comprehend that central heating installation is expensive and her dad is tighter than a ducks arse.

Her dad actually wants to get his mate in to see if he can do it cheaper,..I of course told him no.

I can't stress enough that I myself am fine with the quote and I have complete faith in my buddy. And I thank all for the replies to confirm what I already knew :)

Is he VAT registered? If he is that is cheap, especially if he has employee's too. If somebody does it much cheaper it might not be a proper job and you can get your mate back if anything goe's wrong.

d4anny boy it may also help if you tell us where your based , north , south etc the further south of Sheffield i go the more i charge

I feel sorry for his mate if he gets the job, as his girlfriends father in law will be all over him like a rash !!

I feel sorry for his mate if he gets the job, as his girlfriends father in law will be all over him like a rash !!

He's got the job and her dad ain't a problem... He will keep his distance, he means well for his "little girl". We actually got a car on finance the other week and he pulled his face because he didn't get a chance to inspect the car.. A typical tyre kicker he is but I told my girlfriend that we're car hunting without him because it would take decades if he came along ;)

As for the actual job I will be helping him with the installation so I'l be present the whole time.

Someone asked where I'm based, to answer your question sir I'm located in the NorthWest.

well ive just done a job in garstang before christmas , again for an old school friend and i charged him a similar price had it been a normal custard i would of added a few hundred on but he did take me into town on the lash and i never put my hand in my pocket once so happy days

well ive just done a job in garstang before christmas , again for an old school friend and i charged him a similar price had it been a normal custard i would of added a few hundred on but he did take me into town on the lash and i never put my hand in my pocket once so happy days

We occasionally bump into each other when out on the lash, I'v known the guy since I was 5 and we've always had a laugh right from infants to the end of high school....Like I'v mentioned I have complete faith in him;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

F
maybe because its a little slow within this...
Replies
Views
As a young man i installed a lot of one pipe...
Replies
Views
Back