Outside pipework and connections | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Outside pipework and connections in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

Firstly, Im not a plumber but like to tackle anything in my own house.

I want to plumb in a USA type fridge to the cold water supply in the kitchen. The floor is tiled and i dont want to lift them. The best route is outside through the kitchen wall under the sink.... under the decking fir 10ft...then back into the house where the fridge is. The pipes would be almost entirely hidden under the decking.

I was going to use 15mm plastic pipe with insulation, instead of copper and compression fittings instead of plastic. Any issues with this? Any advice welcome! Cheers!

Yes will freeze and cause issues

Even with the correct thickness of lagging? Sorry for my ignorance but it's rare to get sub-zero temperatures where I come from so people tend to go a bit lighter on the lagging compared to the UK.

Yes this last week has been mad 11/2 waste pipes freezing

Understood.

There are burst pipes galore over here after 3 days of sub-zero temperatures. It actually made todays newspaper because it is really quite unusual for us. When I was working out on site instead of a workshop I only did 2 0r 3 frozen pipe bursts in 5 years.

MaksimsK's suggestion of a heat trace might be the way to go if there are no internal routes then?

My opinion it would be the very last option/ only way

Good advice, thanks guys! Never heard of the frost protection trace heating kit before. Thats the way to go, as there's no way of running a pipe inside the house without lifting tiles....and its my sons house and he bought a non-fillable fridge.

Good advice, thanks guys! Never heard of the frost protection trace heating kit before. Thats the way to go, as there's no way of running a pipe inside the house without lifting tiles....and its my sons house and he bought a non-fillable fridge.

Trace Heating is designed for other things.
I personally would not use it on a drinking water supply.

If the pipe has to run outside the property, it should be done using the correct materials and be buried at the right depth.

Similar plumbing topics

I've run a supply down from the soffit, in...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Sounds to me that the 15mm pipe that you are...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
N
Thank you all. The wording was ambiguous in...
Replies
Views
Northgan
N
T
  • Question
(Just bumping a few older threads, they will...
Replies
Views
Good suggestion as before rad removals they...
Replies
Views
Back