over worked and under paid | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss over worked and under paid in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

M

Mr leaky

would anyone work four 12 hour days for £200 per week and supply there own ppe i mean is that normal in the industry i have worked for two people my first employer was absolutely golden no problems what so ever but my latest employer really does take the micky i havent got a contract and i never get any payslips any views would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually its the employers responsibility to provide any PPE required for you to work safely.

As you don't have a contract, I don't see where you stand.

Try renegotiating your deal with your 'employer', if your not happy.

Personally, I cant comment. I wouldn't get out my bed for less than that a day but in regards to PPE, your employer should issue you with that. Are you paid cash in hand or into the bank & do you pay your own NI & tax?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Couple a' Tools

i was employed and was paid by fund transfer direct into my bank i am a second year apprentice but i have been plumbing for about three years so not completely unskilled. i just wanted to know if thats the norm for the industry

In all honesty, I couldn't tell you what the going rate is for an apprentice though you should be supplied with PPE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Couple a' Tools

not bad dosh for a second year leaky. unfortunately no industry will pay above the going rate for an apprentice no matter what age. as for the conditions yeah mate that's bad... if i were you though i'd wait to get fully qualified then look for a better firm. you should be looking for around 400 take home plus a van, diesel card etc, that's in London where i am anyway. You'll see your money fly up when you go onto the call out rota ;) good luck mate.

pretty much what he has told me is no one in the industry works fewer than twelve hours a day and when i asked about being paid for the overtime he just told me this and these are his exact words "the short days make up for the long days so it all balances out" which is utter Cods, forgot to add i have my unvented ticket, solar hot water and biomass the apprenticeship is pretty much so i can go on to get my NVQ L3 which most employers seem to want

Your employer has a legal duty to supply you with PPE and a detailed payslip if you are on the books and if a written contract is not given within 2 months of starting you still have rights under what is called an implied contract. If you are on the books it is important that your tax and national insurance payments are being made as this can affect you later in your life.
If you are contracted as self employed he doesn't need to supply any of that.
Is your 12 hour days actual time on the job or time you are away from the house? eg do you start on site at 8 and finish at 5 but leave the house at half 6 in the morning and get back at half 6 at night?
I think you need to talk to your employer about this although i realise many would be scared to do this incase they get paid off. You could say something like you need recent payslips for a bank loan or something and see what he says and take it from there.
Here is a link to recommended plumbers rates but it can and does vary.
[DLMURL]http://www.unitetheunion.org/pdf/IssuedPayRates20112012Prom163A3.pdf[/DLMURL]

mate i am already unemployed i had it out with him on friday couldnt stand any more of it think it was wednesday went to his place for 7am started as soon as i got there sorting stuff to put pv panels on his house did pv at his place then on to another job down the road then stayed on that til quarter to seven then he announced that i needed to take the lad we were working with home 13mile out of my way with no money for fuel another day i started work at eight granted i was tidying and sorting stuff out but anyhow 2pm he told me "i have got some stuff for you to pick up in plymouth" according to the aa route planner Distance: 270.7 miles Time: 5 hr 30 min i said i wouldnt go so he sent the other apprentice he didnt get back until about twelve thirty at night

You ungrateful little scrote I used to work 25 hour a day 8 days a week when I was an apprentice never complained once you know what they say "You can't do enough for a good governor". I think you should go cap in hand and beg for your job back on monday.

:santa_smiley:

all my portfolio is done for the NVQ so no worries on that score and i do have qualifications biomass heating ,solar hot water and unvented so not all bad apologies for my earlyer rants just a bit effed off at the moment

quite frankly its disgusting how some employers will take advantage in this day and age of peoples fears of being laid off. leaky if i was you i would take leagal advice and consider going a employment tribunal, because the way you have been treated is a disgrace.

Similar plumbing topics

I have connected the secondary pump to a wifi...
Replies
Views
H
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this...
Replies
Views
HRP123
H
No, I believe you absolutely. My own problem...
Replies
Views
Again, without an idea of system volume we're...
Replies
Views
Welcome to the forum Lee, and good luck. We've...
Replies
Views
Masood
M
Back