Overflow gushing water when mains turned on! | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Overflow gushing water when mains turned on! in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

M

Mattsky

Hi there. Any help appreciated with this one.
I've had no hot water coming from the kitchen mixer tap, so I adjusted the cylinder mechanism in the tap so that hot water flowed OK.
However, when I turned the mains water back on, the overflow pipe outside began to gush water.
Looking at the cold water storage in the loft, with the mains turned on, there's water coming from the top-most pipe in the tank which is causing the overflow problem. (I think it's the pipe that's coming from the hot water cylinder?) Currently I have the mains turned off. Wish I hadn't meddled with the mixer tap! What to do now? Any help appreciated.

This is why folk shouldn't tamper with things they don't understand lol, we can all rewire a plug but to understand what goes on inside the plug is a different ball game ,,,,
Either best is right and its forcing up through the hot supply or your ballcock is jammed down when u emptied the attic tank, I'd check arm in the tank is free if so call a plumb,

If you have isolation valves under your tap, turn them off and switch your mains back on. If the storage tank no longer floods, you know you've buggered your tap. I agree with post #2, sounds like the cold is pushing back through to the hot and up through the vent pipe.

Hello folks, genuine thanks for your thoughts. The plumber had recently fitted a bypass valve (to clear an airlock) which indeed was forcing water up through the hot tap. Closed it off and all back to normal. Phew.

Similar plumbing topics

A
  • Question
Contact them again and hope you don’t get the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
which must be protected by a RCD new circuit...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You Can Use Boiler, Heat Pump.
Replies
Views
C
  • Question
Is there a ball valve on the flexihoses? Might...
Replies
Views
Back