Overflow issue combination cylinder | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Overflow issue combination cylinder in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

Illuminate

illuminate
I instanly assumed I had a problem with the ballcock valve as overflow pouring out but on inspection I noticed that the ballcock is working efficiently but water seemed to be coming into the top of the tank from what I think is the internal vent making me think the hot water is overheating and drawing up? Immerssion issues or??

The water is coming out of the hole to the left above the ball cock as shown in photo?

Any help welcome?
20210520_100410.jpg
20210520_100404.jpg

What do you mean by pouring? Like a kitchen tap kinda flow rate?

If so, you may have a crossover from the mains water to the hot system.

Without knowing/seeing your outlets (taps/showers) it’s hard to be 100% accurate but to want to check all outlets which have mains cold water and hot from this tank. Typically the kitchen sink.

Go under the kitchen sink and listen for water moving through the tap supply pipes when the tap is off.

If you hear water, turn off the cold supply to the tap and you should hear the water stop.

Then check the tank, it should have stopped overflowing.

If so, new tap required.

This type of cross over can also happen at shower valves which have a mains supply but less common.

If you get a new tap, get one that is designed for low pressure systems and mixes the hot/cold at the end of the spout; rather than at the cartridge.

5 hours ago I came across and fixed this issue which 4 other people had missed and kept changing the ball cock. One even suggested a new hot water cylinder as he suspected the old one was scaled up and causing the issue.

What do you mean by pouring? Like a kitchen tap kinda flow rate?

If so, you may have a crossover from the mains water to the hot system.

Without knowing/seeing your outlets (taps/showers) it’s hard to be 100% accurate but to want to check all outlets which have mains cold water and hot from this tank. Typically the kitchen sink.

Go under the kitchen sink and listen for water moving through the tap supply pipes when the tap is off.

If you hear water, turn off the cold supply to the tap and you should hear the water stop.

Then check the tank, it should have stopped overflowing.

If so, new tap required.

This type of cross over can also happen at shower valves which have a mains supply but less common.

If you get a new tap, get one that is designed for low pressure systems and mixes the hot/cold at the end of the spout; rather than at the cartridge.

5 hours ago I came across and fixed this issue which 4 other people had missed and kept changing the ball cock. One even suggested a new hot water cylinder as he suspected the old one was scaled up and causing the issue.
That's great advice mate, really appreciate it. Yeah the flow is much like a tap. This morning i isoltated the hot feed leading to faucets and it stopped (the back flow) and obviously the overflow issue and so you must be right. Thanks. I will try tomorrow

Thank you all for your help. Job complete. On inspection I noticed the sound of water from a row of the female toilet basin taps which stopped when all isolated and that in the gents toilets all the hot feed on the mixer taps had been connected to non return valves but none in the female basin mixer taps. Instead of just attaching a non return to the main feed to all the taps I installed each hot tap with one for extra reassurance. Working fine now 👌 🙂

Also the main feed to all the taps was quite concealed where it branched out and so I would of had to install two 22mm non return valves which I did not have on me and so I just installed four no return valves to each hot feed on the tap

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
are you saying they could have come off the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
To be fair, it depends on how the bathrooms...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You need a mcalpine V33WM, the site won't let...
Replies
Views
S
  • Question
It is difficult to identify the source of the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
The most likely explanation for what you are...
Replies
Views
Back