overflow leaking yet again | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss overflow leaking yet again in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

alanagain

Hi to you all, I only registered last night and this is my first post. I hope someone can come up with a solution as I'm at a loss with my leaking overflow from the larger water tank in my loft. It started a year or so ago, I renewed the rubber washer in the ballcock valve of the larger tank, the water level in this tank was right up and overflowing out of the pipe, the level in the smaller tank normal. This was only a temporary fix as it started to leak again. I then fitted a new ballcock valve, this fixed the problem for some months, about a year at a guess. Then it started leaking again so I then fitted another new ballcock valve, this time I fitted a Pegler as I was told it was a better quality make. Dripping stopped again but only for a few weeks. I exchanged it for another as I guessed it was maybe faulty. Soon after it started dripping again, so I dismantled it but found no reason for it not to do it's job. I now have the old unit back on with the rubber turned round and the arm bent to reduce the water level. Needless to say that it soon started to leak as before. I've checked the ball float for leaks and it's fine. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks, I hope someone can help. Alan.

Is the water level in the smaller tank higher than the water level in the larger tank?

Water coming over through the vent? Do you use the immersion heater to heat your hw cylinder?

Is the water level in the smaller tank higher than the water level in the larger tank?

Hi there BLOD and thanks for replying. No the water level in the smaller tank is lower than in the larger tank, it is where I'd expect it to be, ie the ballcock valve is doing what it should in this tank. If the water level in the small tank rises too high it will then overflow into the larger tank and then as that level rises out of the overflow to the outside. Any more ideas? Cheers, Alan.

Can you see the ball valve dripping into the tank?
Perhaps there is debris fouling the valve preventing it from shutting off.

Have you got the metal support strip which stops the tank flexing. There is a hole in it which the ballvalve fits through. If not the ballvalve can twist upwards when filling. Rigid pipework can prevent this happening. Also check you got the white orafice and not the red one fitted.

Hi Mountainman, thanks for replying. I've watched the water refilling after refitting the ballcock valve and it seems to take forever to apparently completely stop entering the tank through the valve. If I blip the float down to give a surge of water then that seems to stop the gentle seepage but of course under normal use that won't happen. I dismantled the valve to check for debris etc and all looks perfect. Any more ideas, thanks again, Alan.

Kozak has provided some sound advice though I doubt that you would have the red seating in your valve.
It sounds to me like you have some grit or debris in or on the valve which prevents it closing properly.

Hi there BLOD and thanks for replying. No the water level in the smaller tank is lower than in the larger tank, it is where I'd expect it to be, ie the ballcock valve is doing what it should in this tank. If the water level in the small tank rises too high it will then overflow into the larger tank and then as that level rises out of the overflow to the outside. Any more ideas? Cheers, Alan.
You don't want small tank overfilling to big as the water you shower will be contaminated !!!!

Hi there BLOD and thanks for replying. No the water level in the smaller tank is lower than in the larger tank, it is where I'd expect it to be, ie the ballcock valve is doing what it should in this tank. If the water level in the small tank rises too high it will then overflow into the larger tank and then as that level rises out of the overflow to the outside. Any more ideas? Cheers,

Might be new cylinder time due to a split coil

Re: overflow leaking yet again and again etc

Hi there BLOD and thanks for replying. No the water level in the smaller tank is lower than in the larger tank, it is where I'd expect it to be, ie the ballcock valve is doing what it should in this tank. If the water level in the small tank rises too high it will then overflow into the larger tank and then as that level rises out of the overflow to the outside. Any more ideas? Cheers,

Might be new cylinder time due to a split coil

Thanks. I've replied to everyone individually but the posts don't send, it says i need to log in but i am. Then I've lost all that I've typed. Not god considering how long it takes me to type. Anyway all suggestions have been checked and all ok. overflow from small to large is not into tank but same overflow pipe. Why would I need a new cylindre? I don't use the immersion. Thanks again, Alan.

Re: overflow leaking yet again and again etc

Why would I need a new cylindre? .

The coil in the cylinder could be perforated. This will mean your HW tank will feed into your CH circuit and overflow the header tank. But, do you mean your header tank is linked to your cistern in the loft? (the big tank) It shouldn't be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I can't remember if I fitted one or not, but I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, We have a large Heatrea Sadia unvented hot...
Replies
Views
I've tidied up this thread and banned a user...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Many thanks for the advice.
Replies
Views
  • Question
Okay, so this shower is a potential route for...
Replies
Views
Back