Overflowing Expansion tank advice needed. | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Overflowing Expansion tank advice needed. in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am looking after a bungalow where Central Heating & Hot Water has been turned off for about a month. In fact I had turned off water supply at stopcock outside because of heavily dripping taps in kitchen.
Today the taps were replaced. Great, no more dripping. After fitting taps, the water supply was kept on. I came back a few hours later to find an overflow pipe outside dripping quite heavily. Lokoed in the loft, the cold water tank seemed OK, no way near overflowing. The smaller tank is situated quite high up, I presume is the expansion tank. I'm finding it difficult to get to, but putting my hand in at the top it seems very full & I assume this is where the problem is.
Can anyone give us an idea why this has happened. Is it because the water has been off for such a time and a valve somewhere has scaled up? I turned the water off again outside tonight but at the time of leaving , the overflow was still dripping !

It was probably still dripping as it will take time for the water to leave the tank from the overflow.

I would turn the water off and replace the ball valve in the tank first. If you don't feel comfortable call a plumber, its not a big job.

Most likely the ballvalve (float Valve). Can be caused by heating circulation, and pipework configuration issues, but as the water has been turned off for some time would look at first option to start with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I can't remember if I fitted one or not, but I...
Replies
Views
B
Probably need more information in relation to...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
The timeclock is hopefully fairly self...
Replies
Views
D
Hello Duncan. Yes a shut off valve can pass...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back