Painted copper pipes advice please | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Painted copper pipes advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketmanbkk

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Hello Friends

I need to move a radiator, the pipes are painted, I don't really want to renew all pipe as it will mean pulling up floorboards!

How do you get around this? Scrape pipe with paint stripper? just scrape, any suggestions please?

Best wishes as always,
Rocket

Scrape as much as you can. Then clean with sand paper or wirewool

OK, thanks, good idea, never thought of that!

Get nice and clean right for whole of where fitting will go

Why not take floorboards up? It will be a neater job.

Or is it the hated laminate??

if the paint is thick I find it useful to hold a set of grips around the part to be cleaned, just give gentle pressure not to much or you might squash the pipe. tun the grips around the pipe and the paint usually snaps off, then finish of as suggested with wire wool etc

Th epipes wont be seen after as I will box them in so no issues about some of the pipe being painted, just need to make sure the fixings take.

Always better to get under the floor, one of my pet hates is a straight connector on a rad tail. But if it is impossible you can scrape and sand paper as said or the grips as said or a quick blast with the blowtorch (don't forget the heat mat) then the grips with a qick scrape and finish off with the sandpaper. Works for me when i have to do it. If you can, clean it before you cut it, sometimes you can't, but if you can it gives you better leverage.

Thanks all.

I can get at the pipes easy enough as not boxed in yet, i'll clean 1st etc.

Should be OK, what with the cost of copper pipe, may as well save a little where I can!

Sometimes paint comes off easy enough other times it is infuriatingly caked on. I usually attack it with everything randomly. Grips, abrasive pad, bit more grips, wire wool, FLAME, grips, swearing, abrasvie pad, banana, grips. Done.

Use a rasp (not a file) lightly on the paint and it will flake off very quickly.

just blast the pipe with your torch til the paint flakes then wire wool
make sure you get all the paint off even round the back of the pipe.

Sounds like a good tip. Any type in particular?
Just a standard wood rasp. I got mine out of the local Poundshop as for what I use it for it doesn't have to be carpenter quality. A rasp is also the best tool for filing the chamfered edge on 110mm push fit soil pipe, far quicker and easier than a file. Other good woodwork tool is a woodsaw for cutting soil pipe, as it cuts it square while a hack saw cuts it like a drunk on steroids.

Watertight, a couple of questions about your suggested methodology. Can the swearing take place at any part of the process ? Does it have to be a banana or will any fruit do ? I was thinking clementine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The swearing can take place at any juncture but to be particularly effective it's best deployed when furiously wielding a banana.

And a clementine is a preposterous idea, the very thought. This is plumbing not fruitmongery.

Watertight, thanks for the advice. I generally deploy swearing at the the start of each task as a precaution. I also find it helps to direct the most extreme abuse at a particular inanimate object, usually something like ' you ####### stupid (insert name of tool or fitting here)' I find this is a certain way of making sure that everything goes smoothly from then on.

Please forgive my fruit based ignorance, luckily I was unable to get any clementines this morning from my local plumbers merchants, so I have avoided any embarrassment. Tomorrow I will see if screwfix stock bananas. A final piece of advice regarding said plumbing banana, can you suggest a size, 15mm, 22mm or imperial, compression, push fit, end feed or Yorkshire (not sure they grow them in Yorkshire ?)

I am sure that your expertise in the use of fruit - excluding clementines and I assume all other members of the citrus family, will be called upon many more times.

Once again many thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

10 o’clock / 45 degrees would be better than...
Replies
Views
  • Question
First, ensure the exact position of the leak...
Replies
Views
I've tidied up this thread and banned a user...
Replies
Views
L
  • Question
Nothing wrong with plastic pipes for the hots...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello..practice works fine...my soldering is...
Replies
Views
Back