Paperwork Advice | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Paperwork Advice in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

F

fireplace_man

Hello, as my name suggests, i install gas and solid fuel fireplaces. Ive been gassafe registered for about 2 months now. Three things i am unsure of:
1, Everytime i install a fireplace and fire, other than the chimney and hearth notice plate and documentation, and registering the appliance. do i have to fill out at gas safety form each time?

Also:

2, I have the cooker module, but dont work on cookers at all since doing my acs a few years ago. When doing a landlord certificate, how do i do a gas rate and check burner pressures on hobs?

Finally:

3, A boiler british gas installed have earthing cable over 600mmm away from meter and the pipe wasnt sleeved. Both NCS, but where do i note this? I told the customer, but he was fairly old and doubt he`ll care/remember.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes do a gas cert for new appliance and visual checks on all other appliances with details on the gas cert. Any ncs/ar/id should be noted on a warning notice certificate (or your gas cert if it has a section for this), labels attached etc..... as per unsafe situations.

as for testing gas hobs i would advise you to read through your notes/learning materials. If you have forgotten how to gas rate then its likely you have forgotten alot more and it would be best if you spent some time reviewing your notes from your training. I find it handy to keep my reference books in my van for times when i cant remember things and need to jog the memory.

Hello, AWheating
Whoops typo error. Its meant to read after a gas rate how do i do i check pressures. But ive been reading up tonight, just practise like everything else.

Is it a legal requirement to do a `gas safety report` for each new appliance or just good practise?

Cheers

yes do a gas cert for new appliance and visual checks on all other appliances with details on the gas cert. Any ncs/ar/id should be noted on a warning notice certificate (or your gas cert if it has a section for this), labels attached etc..... as per unsafe situations.

as for testing gas hobs i would advise you to read through your notes/learning materials. If you have forgotten how to gas rate then its likely you have forgotten alot more and it would be best if you spent some time reviewing your notes from your training. I find it handy to keep my reference books in my van for times when i cant remember things and need to jog the memory.

a gas cert isnt mandatory for a new appliance, if you want to do one for your/their records thats up to you, if you do one then thats where you record your NCS as good practice, you dont need to write NCS anywhere but TBH it is easier to communicate the info on some form of paperwork that you are producing, IMHO it is a complete waste of time and resources to fill out a warning notice for NCS, becuase the only jobs that dont have some NCS on them are mine, haha and you will soon be demented writing them out

Hello, AWheating
Whoops typo error. Its meant to read after a gas rate how do i do i check pressures. But ive been reading up tonight, just practise like everything else.

Is it a legal requirement to do a `gas safety report` for each new appliance or just good practise?

Cheers

i find its easier and more professional to issue a cert/notice. Its a good record of work carried out and your customer will find it easier to understand any situation. Also when the customer wants other work doing all your details are there on the cert in the draw with the appliance instructions.

The last few gas safe inspectors i have had have even tried to insist that you should record your visual inspection details of the exsisting appliances and state if the appliance is safe to use.

its your choice.

any landlord/local HA will need a cert.

a gas cert isnt mandatory for a new appliance, if you want to do one for your/their records thats up to you, if you do one then thats where you record your NCS as good practice, you dont need to write NCS anywhere but TBH it is easier to communicate the info on some form of paperwork that you are producing, IMHO it is a complete waste of time and resources to fill out a warning notice for NCS, becuase the only jobs that dont have some NCS on them are mine, haha and you will soon be demented writing them out

when i worked on a contract in wolverhampton i had to write a warning notice out for each defect/ncs as it was requested. The most i wrote out was 7 in one property..... :(

i do think it does look professional to issue good paperwork. It can be good protection if there is an issue in the future and you have a paper trail to show what you did while you was there.

Yes I agree it is good practice to do paperwork . Unfortunately I dont like paperwork so dont do any or very little. i have never issued a warning notice I usually cap off and label and photo or call Transco , I recently attended a job where the customer smelled gas when she put her head down in a kitchen cupboard. All the pipework was new and done by transco , I found the leak on the elbow going into the sleeving that was unsealed . I capped off the meter and told her to get transco out , She rang them and was told it was her problem ,I told her to threaten them with GAS SAFE and kick up , An hour later 2 vans and engineers were on the job where the pipe had not been pushed home fully into the fitting. Everyone gets it wrong at some stage:hurray:

when i worked on a contract in wolverhampton i had to write a warning notice out for each defect/ncs as it was requested. The most i wrote out was 7 in one property..... :(

i do think it does look professional to issue good paperwork. It can be good protection if there is an issue in the future and you have a paper trail to show what you did while you was there.

i dont disagree with anything you say but the OP asked what he needed to do, and you dont need to write NCS's anywhere, although i do as you do through choice, and the wolverhampton requirement would be a contract requirement over and above the mandatory requirement

Similar plumbing topics

No they just do the address, thank goodness...
Replies
Views
We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
You should keep a record of all the gas work...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Back