pipes in insulation | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss pipes in insulation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just about to finish this job. Install radiator on outside stone wall.
The wall gets very cold and the room is getting re-worked. I've i stalled the pipework 10mm on the wall and wrapped the pipes in a foil wrap to prevent heat loss directly to the wall. They are wrapped and clipped together with d clips. Tomorrow the wall is getting battoned and boarded with 1" celotex insulation. Will there be any problems with the flow and return in the same foil wrap? Will there be just too much heat loss from the flow to the return before it gets to the rad??? Hope it's ok, might not have enough time to seperate them tomorrow before it's boarded??

You know when you just have a thought aftr you have done a job.... is this going to be ok???:confused:

Thanks

depends on how long the run is?
sounds like you are heating up the return pipework giving the rad the difference in temprature to equall the average between feed and return tempratures at a guess around 30c which could be just a warm rad and wasted energy.
15mm will have been better.

15mm would have been much better, but id say your safe :)

Just thought I'd come back and say, it worked ok. At the end of long 15mm run but just needed to balance the whole systme. Works a treat. Smallish room and very well insulated anyway.Got the whole thing finished 2 days before the cold spell started and has not been off since..... Tell a lie, had to drain the F & R pipes to the boiler due to very minor leak. Was kicking myself, left a leak in my own house. :( No, was not me. Leak was on a very small section of old 28mm from the old gravity primaries. Could not change(without lots of work) this this small section as it "dog legs" from the old lean to to the first floor. Anyway, leak was on a coupling that when I got it off discovered that 1/3rd of of it did not have any solder in it. Worked fine until changed to pumped system. I'm happy with it and lovelly and warm....:)

Sounds like it's all fine now, but for future reference; foil reduces heat loss by radiation but not (conduction or) convection. For these you need something with airbubbles, eg normal pipe insulation foam tubing (maybe the foil wrap you used has this not sure from your post).

Sounds like it's all fine now, but for future reference; foil reduces heat loss by radiation but not (conduction or) convection. For these you need something with airbubbles, eg normal pipe insulation foam tubing (maybe the foil wrap you used has this not sure from your post).

Cheers for that Leon, I'll make a note of that for future. Just for interest I used a foil bubble wrap from [DLMURL="http://www.NoLinkingToThis/search.do;jsessionid=YZOYHUXDF0JKKCSTHZPCFFI?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=62194+&searchbutton.x=0&searchbutton.y=0&searchbutton=submit"]here[/DLMURL].

ta RM

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
ah ok. Yes they are chasing in at the moment...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hmm. We're talking about British Standards...
Replies
Views
You also can get 19mm thick pipe insulation...
Replies
Views
well, I really cannot see what extra features...
Replies
Views
Back