Pipes in walls | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Pipes in walls in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketmanbkk

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Hi Friends

So, got to put some 15mm pipe in a wall for shower feed and also rad. Wall is brick.

Do I need to sleeve pipes? Also, after fitting is is best practice to sand / cement over even if tiles will go on top?

Thanks all

RCT

I would wrap them in denso tape and plaster them in personally.
With an open space behind the tile, the grout it more likely to fail and have water track behind!

not good!

don't sand and cement them in!
in the unlikely event you have to get to them you will curse yourself, plaster is easy to dig out.

rap them up in felt sleave clip then in and bond over the top pva prime etc

Personally I chase in lagg them tape any joints ect and mortar back in don't use bonding as if it does get wet it's a mess just my personal preference

I try not to do it. Personally think its poor practise. Showers ok though.

Screwfix do a pipe insulation tape that comes on a roll. The manufacturers claim it's as effective as Climaflex pipe insulation used in lofts etc. It takes up 2mm on each side of the pipe. I wrap them in this stuff - it insulates them, allows room for them to expand and protects them from plaster/cement.

Spiral Wrap 50mm x 7.5m | NoLinkingToThis

double wrap of insulation tape, wrap of hairfelt, cement/plaster in, and if needed tank walls . do not use pva before tiling, it stops the tile adhesive working correctly. use a tile primer.

by the time youve wrapped the pipe up, got the denso off your mits and out of your hair or stopped sneezing from dust in lagging, its cheaper and easier to buy some copper tube prewrapped/covered in platic and just use that.

Not a very good idea to use denso tape under thin plaster as it will bleed
through in no time and will make a mess of any decoration on it.

Go for hair felt or or tape.

Not a very good idea to use denso tape under thin plaster as it will bleed
through in no time and will make a mess of any decoration on it.

Go for hair felt or or tape.

Ohhhh thanks! Ive only ever used it in floors or behind shower tiles.
had no idea that happened

Don't pva if tiling over the top tilers primer all the way
Hate to pee on your chips and tell you its raining but your wrong.
Speaking as a spread aswell as a trainee plumber i know lots of spreads and plumbers etc that rap them in sleaving and bond over the top the PVA is a primer you bruch into the chase to key the wall
(brickwork/blockwork) first before applying bonding...
1 stops the sucking the life out of the gear
2 helps the gear to stick
3 stops it cracking
4 because 99% of spreads do it
I never said to put it over the top if ou really want to do a pucker job..
Then cut the bonding back as its drying to leave about 3mm then pva and appy finishing plaster and trowel up.....
you could even snag it with easy fill then light sand ready to paint....

You can use sand/cement but with water proofer or feb not saying you cant but we do it right the first time

JUST SAYING

as for tiling over new plaster or s/c use bal SBR primer i use it on all jobs new or old

Hate to pee on your chips and tell you its raining but your wrong.
Speaking as a spread aswell as a trainee plumber i know lots of spreads and plumbers etc that rap them in sleaving and bond over the top the PVA is a primer you bruch into the chase to key the wall
(brickwork/blockwork) first before applying bonding...
1 stops the sucking the life out of the gear
2 helps the gear to stick
3 stops it cracking
4 because 99% of spreads do it
I never said to put it over the top if ou really want to do a pucker job..
Then cut the bonding back as its drying to leave about 3mm then pva and appy finishing plaster and trowel up.....
you could even snag it with easy fill then light sand ready to paint....

You can use sand/cement but with water proofer or feb not saying you cant but we do it right the first time

JUST SAYING

If u wanna get really picky and I'll **** on your parade trainee plumber you said bond it in then pva not pva before bonding in

Just saying

i see that but theres not tab to edit posts:cool3: whats wrong with being a trainee??? problem moossshhh

Who cares! It's a daft idea concealing pipes in walls. Especially hot ones.

it is but its done all the time maybe sometimes its needed who knows but thats why it was asked i dont know

It's not so bad with dry lined walls, because there's a bit of movement for maintenance. But bonded in is an accident waiting to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

D
  • Question
Post a pic Could be you carefully break out...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Tiling over like that will be absolutely fine...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I'd use thermopanel tile backer insulation...
Replies
Views
S
  • Question
If it was on a job of mine I would cut it out...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I really appreciate the comments and advice...
Replies
Views
Back