Pipes into stud walls | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Pipes into stud walls in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Hi, our doer upper currently has radiators that have been fitted with pipes running down the walls. We would like them to be hidden in the stud walls. Reading up, some people say use plastic, others say do it with copper. I think I'd prefer copper but would that mean my plumber would have to make lots of joints in the wall or is it done in one piece of pipe with a bend at the end? Should these be insulated in the wall as well?

It would depend on how the wall was built - noggins etc
It may be possible to get a full length of copper in but it’s probably going to be more work and so more money than useing plastic.

It isnt really necessary to have more than one join when running copper pipes in stud wall. Depending on the stud wall and whats above it, you can sometimes feed a full length of copper up and then drop it back down the wall. If not then feed half a length up, half a length down and join in the middle.

Nothing old school about it. There’s a right and a wrong way to do things. In 99% of cases when you run plastic in a wall you end up with at least 1 fitting in the wall or in plaster

One thing to be aware of before you start taking big chunks out of stud walls is that they can be structural too. Some stud walls are just partitions, others may be holding parts of your house up. If it’s the latter I’d think twice about weakening it by notching, probably OK if you drill but then again depends where and how much.

Planning is the key. Plastic comes in much much longer lengths than copper so the need to joint is much less, and is much more flexible to route through stud walls if you need to drill noggins and upright timbers.

I only use copper.
Anywhere you drill through noggins etc, be sure to wrap something around the pipe to prevent creaks when pipes are heating and cooling.

Similar plumbing topics

J
Soil pipe is 110mm in uk, geberit etc do make...
Replies
Views
Thank you so much - really appreciate the...
Replies
Views
Another vote for copper. All copper tube is...
Replies
Views
https://hhic.org.uk/uploads/5BD6D5A19764A.pdf...
Replies
Views
S
  • Question
If it was on a job of mine I would cut it out...
Replies
Views
Back