Pipes or toilet? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Pipes or toilet? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Toilet handle

Hi All, newbie here.

Our toilet (in a first floor flat) is about 25 years old, and since we moved in a few years ago it hasn't flushed very effectively, often needing more than one flush. It also can't handle more than two people using it regularly.

Lately it's got worse, and we are keen on learning to solve our own household issues, so we tried a variety of plunging techniques and plungers, checked the air holes and finally tried muriatic acid. The latter helped a bit, but not enough.

We're considering replacing the toilet, but don't want to do this just to find that the problem was more fundamental, I.e. the deeper plumbing. I don't think anyone else in the block has this issue, though.

Can anyone advise as to whether a new toilet is the next best step, or whether it is time to ask a professional?

Many thanks!

Is the problem that their is not enough water entering the bowl or is it that it takes a while to fill ? I would thought your problem is not enough water entering the bowl but then you mentioned not being able to be used more than once in a small amount of time. Can you take a picture of inside of the cistern ? Before toilet is flushed how full of water is the cistern ? It might just need more water !

Hi Toilet Handle and welcome.

Can you be more specific with your descrition of the toilet not flushing properly please.

When you say it needs more than one flush, it could either mean that there isn't enough water entering the pan from the cistern or that it isn't clearing waste out of the pan with one flush.

What do you mean by "It also can't handle more than two people using it regularly." ? It could either mean that the cistern isn't filling up quick enough for more than 2 people to use in a short space of time or that it isn't clearing the waste for more than 2 people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

B
Sometimes you have to think outside the box...
Replies
Views
R
Following as I came here to ask the exact same...
Replies
Views
Laurie1987
L
Post some pics. Is the cistern touching the...
Replies
Views
A
It’s mainly because of the boss eg pipe into...
Replies
Views
G
True, when something happens to your plumbing...
Replies
Views
Back