Pipework between flow and return on cylinder/ | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Pipework between flow and return on cylinder/ in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

S

steveafoss

Hi been to a property today when looking at vented cylinder noitced that there was a 22mm conection between the flow and return with a gate valve in between (gate valve was open) this was downstream of the pump. does anyone know why this would have been put in first time i have seen this. They dont have any problems with hot water but just wondered why this was here.

Cheers

I've seen check valves on the expansion before, when I asked who did it, the usual reply 'oh my dad's friend, he used to be a plumber' ... ok.

Later on in the week (full install) and running a new gas supply from a new meter to boiler 'we are thinking of putting a gas cooker in later on, can we just tee into that pipe' I replied 'yes you can', 'OK, great can you leave a tee piece in here so my dad's friend can run a new pipe in, he's got some of that plastic pipe in the garage........ I replied 'OK....'

who am I to say, the blokes a plumber after all..

Last edited:
I once got told that if you have problems with air getting in to an open vented h/w system that you can fit a non-return valve on the end of the expansion pipe as long as you label it on the cylinder, does anybody disagree with this?

I'm sure if you put a non return valve on the ov that could cause the cylinder to implode..

Possibly but in reality unlikely I suppose as the cold feed would still be clear? The expansion should be clear from obstruction along it's entire length though. It's a lot easier/safer to address the real cause of the air ingress rather than bodge it up with a non return valve!

Hi been to a property today when looking at vented cylinder noitced that there was a 22mm conection between the flow and return with a gate valve in between (gate valve was open) this was downstream of the pump. does anyone know why this would have been put in first time i have seen this. They dont have any problems with hot water but just wondered why this was here.

Cheers

still not clear from replys why would you need a bypass on vented cylinder between flow and return am i being a bit thick

still not clear from replys why would you need a bypass on vented cylinder between flow and return am i being a bit thick

Safety. We all know that water expands 1600 times when it turns to steam.

If the boiler's heating the water and the circulation stops (eg trvs all close down, zone valve sticks, pump seizes, etc) the hot flow water cannot go anywhere and the boiler will continue to throw hot water into the system.

With the by-pass, the hot flow can, believe it or not(!), by-pass the rest of the system and return to the boiler by convection. Then the thermostat in the boiler will kick out to turn the boiler off before the water becomes hot enough to create steam.

(I occasionally ask for a quick poke around in customers' airing cupboards (so I can check on their underwe. ....OOOPS) so I can check for things like gate valves which must remain open or that there is a by-pass.) If I've turned up for a short job and finish in 5 minutes I can't justify £50 call out, but asking to look in the airing cupboard and explaining how the hot water cylinder works (most people have no idea!) this adds a few more minutes then their £50 seems more worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joining the f & r pipes at cylinder is just a bypass. Stupid IMO. The gate valve is just to balance it. Usually the f & r are joined because a therm cylinder valve is fitted & will close the circuit obviously. Other method is the 3 connection therm valve which bypasses when valve shuts. Both ways help prevent pumping up likelihood, & keep flow through boiler. A proper bypass at boiler would be more sensible.

Similar plumbing topics

Since it became normal for trv's to be bi...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I wouldn't worry about them. Leave them a be...
Replies
Views
Alpha 2/3 manual. Shows variant with air...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Sounds to me that the 15mm pipe that you are...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
  • Question
After some consideration 15mm plastic with...
Replies
Views
Back