Pipework Noise When Rad Valve Off | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Pipework Noise When Rad Valve Off in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I installed a 12kw electric combi boiler the other day.

Double checked what was the the flow and return from the manual of the old boiler before making connections to the new boiler.

Finished install, filled her up and all went well.

Was called back today as one rad, when you turn off the bidirectional trv it makes one bang in the pipework (back pressure on an unsupported pipe im thinking) and then a loud humming coming from the pipework under the floor and from the boiler.

Checked the rads and had the bleed a load of air. Checked the rad again and the noise went.

Can air cause this type of noise/ vibration in the pipework? At first I thought I piped up the flow/return the wrong way round and maybe the rad valves were one way. But the valve is bidirectional and the valves which are one way are absolutely fine. Plus I'm confident the flow/return are piped up fine.

Also on another rad, when switching the trv off makes a ticking sound for about 30 seconds then stops...???

Check the pump speed. If Bi world Evolve TRVs from Mr Central Heating are fitted, these can make a noise if the pressure is above 0.25bar and fitted on the return.

I've had this problem on old trv the valve doesn't quite shut off and causes vibration. But strange to have 2 new one's do this. try changing trv's;-)

I've had this problem on old trv the valve doesn't quite shut off and causes vibration. But strange to have 2 new one's do this. try changing trv's;-)

Yeah I thought that, but I wanted to check here before recommending to change the valves. Cheers rayzer

Similar plumbing topics

Ok I think I see what your saying mate, So...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I would of clipped the pipework but it is...
Replies
Views
Since it became normal for trv's to be bi...
Replies
Views
You seem to have got it sorted, but for future...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I wouldn’t even entertain turning them off...
Replies
Views
Back