Plastic flow/return into boiler case normal? | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Plastic flow/return into boiler case normal? in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

Hi

I was viewing a house today and came across a few questionable plumbing practices. Looking at the outside oil boiler I noticed pushfit plastic flow/return going into the case and wanted to know others opinion on this? I would of thought building regulations required copper from the boiler for a certain distance.

I couldn't see the actual boiler as the case was padlocked though.

In addition to this I noticed 2 pan connectors linked for the toilet waste, a loose wash hand basin and a broken manhole lid which is questionable.

Just wanted to hear some opinions as I'm interested in buying this property

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20240815_130851952.jpg
    IMG_20240815_130851952.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20240815_131341820.jpg
    IMG_20240815_131341820.jpg
    529 KB · Views: 30
Pretty sure upvc coated copper is the standard for oil boiler installation, though I believe the 1m copper (but can be coated) still stands for connection to the boiler. Hopefully someone with greater knowledge will confirm.
I personally wouldn't use 2x pan connectors as shown. The only good thing seems to be that they are downhill, other than that not great.

Yes uPVC coated copper is usually used for the oil line from the tank but those were the flow and returns running into the property pictured.

You may also notice the wood on the pan connector. This looked like it was being used to hold up the Flexi which had a big kink near the copper pipe end. This is an easy fix which I could rectify myself

I attached a photo of the busted up manhole which had the bin to sneakily cover it up

Attachments

• IMG_20240815_130741311.jpg
    IMG_20240815_130741311.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 62
It’s not the best the biggest issue is freezing as it looks like it runs to the right a decent distance

Looks like it’s a mr bodge it house bet there’s some interesting wiring as well

It’s not the best the biggest issue is freezing as it looks like it runs to the right a decent distance

Looks like it’s a mr bodge it house bet there’s some interesting wiring as well
Didn't inspect the electrics too thoroughly but the board was ancient and would need swapped out.

Another interesting find was a ratchet socket attached to the bleeder screw of one rad (picture attached). Few rad brackets seemed loose as well but I'd be able to replace myself granted the system has microbore piping.

Also a hot water cylinder that looked messy which I'll attach.

Needs work but the house was solid and seemed damp free.

Attachments

• IMG_20240815_131435703.jpg
    IMG_20240815_131435703.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20240815_131157954.jpg
    IMG_20240815_131157954.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 24

Similar plumbing topics

C
  • Question
Ric2013 thanks , the pipes definitely don’t go...
Replies
Views
Craig boy
C
  • Question
After some consideration 15mm plastic with...
Replies
Views
  • Question
That joint is goosed. The seal is via an o...
Replies
Views
  • Question
How did you go about heating the extension in...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello, I have water filtering system (reverse...
Replies
Views
Back