Please Classify This Flue | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Please Classify This Flue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

jefaz

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
IMG_1075.jpg
What are your opinions on this Flue from an Icos?
I know what mine is,I'll explain when I get a few answers. I couldn't detect any CO

ID I would say

Okay. So this is off a lady in my street. She tried to get on a contract with a big company...I'll let you guess. So anyway I get a text saying could I have a quick look at the boiler as it need some work done before they take her on. I ask what is wrong via our lads to which the reply comes 'the flue is disconnected and needs sorted' I laugh and say yea what really worng and ask for a picture. This comes to me. I told her to turn If off and went straight over. Apparently this company say it's only AR....BUT it had been left on and the sheet said the customer had refused to allow it to be turned off. (Lies). Anyway I tell her it's ID and do the necessity and leave her some heaters. I told her to complain to them to ask why their boiler has been left ID. She did and the company sent out another engineer for confirmation...to which she was told 'it's only AR,use it at your own risk'. I have since told her not to use it under any circumstances and have reported this to the local gas safe inspector. Out of everyone I've showed for opinion (15 people) everyone said ID....apart from the 2 people from this company.

The thing is as its not yet disconnected it could be classed as ar but I wouldn't

Okay. So this is off a lady in my street. She tried to get on a contract with a big company...I'll let you guess. So anyway I get a text saying could I have a quick look at the boiler as it need some work done before they take her on. I ask what is wrong via our lads to which the reply comes 'the flue is disconnected and needs sorted' I laugh and say yea what really worng and ask for a picture. This comes to me. I told her to turn If off and went straight over. Apparently this company say it's only AR....BUT it had been left on and the sheet said the customer had refused to allow it to be turned off. (Lies). Anyway I tell her it's ID and do the necessity and leave her some heaters. I told her to complain to them to ask why their boiler has been left ID. She did and the company sent out another engineer for confirmation...to which she was told 'it's only AR,use it at your own risk'. I have since told her not to use it under any circumstances and have reported this to the local gas safe inspector. Out of everyone I've showed for opinion (15 people) everyone said ID....apart from the 2 people from this company.

Is the flue exhaust disconnected and leaking POC's ?

Is there a chance that the flue exhaust could come away from the boiler ?

Don't get me wrong, I would have turned it off and issued a notice but not categorised it as ID if there is not any actual danger !

Last edited:
It isn't leaking right now no. It's the air intake really. You can see into the boiler from the top!

It isn't leaking right now no. It's the air intake really. You can see into the boiler from the top!

Then I would not say it's ID

ID is if there is an actual danger that will cause or has caused a danger or injury to life or property.

If you left it, it would not poison anyone, as it is. It definitely needs dealing with. However, as it stands it is at risk of becoming a danger, it is not one yet !

ID,if you class that as AR you need help

It's not an immediate danger, It's combustion is not effected and it is not leaking fumes.

Each engineer will obviously use their own discretion.

Like above really, Shuv it back on at fix the problem is the best way to deal with it.

Re fix it to boiler !!!

It's not an immediate danger, It's combustion is not effected and it is not leaking fumes.

Each engineer will obviously use their own discretion.

Like above really, Shuv it back on at fix the problem is the best way to deal with it.

Re fix it to boiler !!!

Its a flue,as you said though just fix it back,looks like the clips missing

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at that further,clips there so possibly flue holes to high putting it under strain

The horseshoe clip is there. The flue hole isn't right! I think it's ID all day long. The case is no longer sealed!

ID for me. The boiler is no longer a room sealed appliance as its open to the room.

ID for me. The boiler is no longer a room sealed appliance as its open to the room.

I would agree absolutely. I had a Ideal classic which had an ongoing leak from a drain off above the boiler and a hole the size of a tennis ball on the top. Probed above the hole at boiler 0ppm - still ID

APOLOGY MY MISTAKE !

I have skimmed the OP and missed that this was an icos. They do have a sealed case and in MFI's it does state that the appliance MUST NOT be operated without it.

I take it back and offer my most humble apology.

In my defence, I wouldn't have left without fixing it but you are ALL indeed correct.

It will be ID. MF's are always the last word

Last edited:
Can't be bothered with AR such a wishy washy cop out just I'D and squeeze a boiler change.
It's a bag of nails snyway

if that's not ID then this trade is more of a joke than I first thought!

plus as hammers says I would id it because its a ideal lol

ID for me but the Icos although not the best is still not the worst Ive still got a few on books going strong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, thank you for the reply. It's confusing...
Replies
Views
Atag let you go for the 600mm clearance away...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Let them supply and fit , then it’s their...
Replies
Views
I’ll make one, it’s basically only two bits of...
Replies
Views
Back