Please Help Back Boiler has heating but no HW | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Please Help Back Boiler has heating but no HW in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

emzi84

Hi All,

Can anyone please help me with my dinosaur of a back boiler, before we begin Im a 27 yr old mum of one who tries to do what I can in the DIY stakes, I have no family that live nearby and with little funds Im wondering if anyone can help.

I have been away this weekend, came back yesterday and fired up HW only on the back boiler... worked fine.

Today I fired it up and nothing, turned to HW and Heating and the heating is firing away but still no HW.
I have checked the tank in the loft to make sure the ball valve isnt stuck, which it isnt and reading on serveral forums I understand it may be an air lock in the coil joining the cylinder.

So, How do I get rid of this air lock, whats the best way?

Thank you for reading!!!

Emma

Hi emma ... can I ask, how many tanks do you have in the loft, and did you check them all?

Hi emma ... can I ask, how many tanks do you have in the loft, and did you check them all?

Hi there, got one in the loft and one above the cylinder in the airing cupboard.. have checked both and seem to flow ok

Is there a motorised valve on the pipe leading to the coil of the cylinder?

Ok apologies for the dumb comment that may follow.... where will I find the coil for a start?

No problem, its inside the cylinder and uses the water heated by the boiler to give you (normally) lovely hot water.

Normally the two pipes on the same side of the cylinder, one about half way up and the other six inches from the bottom.

Ok doesnt look like there is a motorised valve. To the left of the cylinder I have two pipes, one that feeds to the top of the cylinder by the old immersion and one that goes into the loft. I have one output from the bottom of the cylinder.

Emma basic Q if I may....... When asking for hot water only does the bouiler light for a short period of time then tur off for quite a whie the light for a short period of time repetivly? AND do you know what kind of boiler you have .. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way emma you should have four pipes miimum attached to ya cylinder!

photo(29).jpgphoto(30).jpgphoto(31).jpg Sorry if these are rubbish

Emma basic Q if I may....... When asking for ho****er only does the bouiler light for a short period of time then tur off for quite a whie the light for a short period of time repetivly? AND do you know what kind of boiler you have .. :D

Hi Diamondgas it fires up then goes off then on again I have noticed whilst listening to it this evening. I believe it is a bermuda back boiler and is 30+ years old

Can't even see the coil on there or signs of the vent or cold feed to the heating as I'd expect, are they pipes at the back centre if the cupboard?

Yes they are centre of the cupboard from the back boiler downstairs... dont know if this helps but just ran the tap... it went from cold to luke warm for a few secs then back to cold

The coil should be directly opposite the pipe connection on pic 2 so at about 11 o'clock looking down on the cylinder itself?
Possible to see if there's any heat in there?
Sounds like a circulation problem either due to air or lack of water.

All the pipes are cold, the two at the back of the cupboard i have found slaso feed into the bottom of the cylinder (also cold), I can feel the heat from below but nothing in the pipes. P.S Im running HW only at the moment and the boiler has prob fired up twice in last 10 mins

Like I said before sounds like a circulation issue due to air possibly, other than checking the small tank in your loft actually has water in it I'm not sure what else you could do.

I have checked the tank in the loft which is about 2 inches from the top, will the issue right itself if I keep the HW on or do I try and drain the sytem etc?

Emma .. flick ya dodgy imersion on and get someone out! Unless you know how to remove the stat and boil the bugger out, ya stumped! Are you sure tank in loft is full of water?

Last edited by a moderator:
Emma .. flick ya dodgy imersion on and get someone out! Unless you know how to remove the stat and boil the bugger out, ya stumped!

Dodgy Immersion got removed years ago by the looks of the clipped leads, will get someone out... do you know the average cost, not exact just an estimate

Where you based emma? there are many a gallent knight who will willingly save you amongs us here .. *weg*

Where are you Emma in the UK? You may find someone on here willing to come out.

Sludge in the coil, air lock in the coil, the coil is inside the cylinder, it is conected to two pipes going into the side of the cylinder, a coil is also an excellent form of contraception.

Sludge in the coil, air lock in the coil, the coil is inside the cylinder, it is conected to two pipes going into the side of the cylinder, a coil is also an excellent form of contraception.

Lol is that a proposition blackcatgas lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

In the back of the fireplace there will be a...
Replies
Views
Thanks mate. Been very lucky, a neighbour...
Replies
Views
I once had a similar experience with my old...
Replies
Views
Sounds like you have found a blockage, if so...
Replies
Views
RobinA
R
Back