Please help ! how do i bleed a twin entry valve radiator ? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Please help ! how do i bleed a twin entry valve radiator ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeronimo917

Hi,

Just asking for some much appreciated advice.
All the rads in my house are twin entry valve radiators. My central heating operates from a 30 year old kingfisher boiler.
All rads in my house work fine however the one in the living room does not heat up properly. it just gets a little bit warm but not like the other ones.
The rad in the living room is a double rad with the twin entry valves and a bleeding screw on each side of the rad.
Can anybody give me some advice on bleeding a rad like this as I think this will solve my problem. Which one of the two entries has to be closed whilst operating and do I need to open both to bleed?

tks for the help.

You dont need to turn valves off to bleed rad, which, I think is what you are asking. Although, as long as one valve is on, the rad will fill up with water.

It most likely will not need bled. The insert will have fallen off the valve or it is choked up.

Lol at this...People not knowing how to bleed radiators...u even answered your question right at the end about the 'bleed screw'

Lol at this...People not knowing how to bleed radiators...u even answered your question right at the end about the 'bleed screw'

I don't think its fair to ridicule people on the forum no matter how obvious the answer seems to you.

Sorry but when i was 5yr old i think i knew how to bleed a radiator...im trying to give this guy confidence on the task at hand

tks for the replies,
Great to hear that these days 5 year old can bleed radiators, my two 5 year old boys must then be thick ?????
now to be serious:
I have bled the two sides of the radiator, one went nice and warm after getting about half a bucket of water out after that the water got warm. Then I started on the next one, got the equal amount of water out but it only got a bit warm. Then I turned the radiator off, put it back on and now both sides are a only bit warm????

You shouldn't be removing water, just air. All you have done is brought hot water from rest of system. There is no, or little flow in rad, so you have dirt in rad or valve or airlock in one of the pipes to it probably. Faulty therm valves ( Trv) do this too.

More than likely damaged twin entry valve, doubt you will get another so get it re-piped to 2 valves instead.

It will most likely be as tamz said or pipework leading to it or radiator sludged. If your not confident in doing more than bleeding the radiator's then call someone in to do it... before weather gets much colder!

It most likely will not need bled. The insert will have fallen off the valve or it is choked up.

haha i just knew when i read the replies to this that you would have beat me to the actual problem, so i will just add that when you take the rad out and find tam is right and you cant get the spreader back out the rad then simply ram a bit of 10mm copper in the opening (and make the pipe about 100mm shorter than the width of the rad, as its function is to seperate the flow and return water in the rad, so the spreader pushes the flow to the other side and allows the return to be force back out after circulating (and heating) the whole rad, if the spreader fall off the water simply circulates round the inlet corner of the rad

give the OP a break, yes the answer is blindingly obvious to an expert like you but it is a DIY forum, and i ask "stupid" questions in the building forums cause i dont know the rudiments of their trade, when someone says "can i ask you a stupid question" i always reply "there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers and stupid people who are too insecure to ask a question in the first place"

Thanks for all the advice . I will get an expert in to deal with this. Do you think it is possible to get just this radiator repiped to 2 valves and leave all the rest of the radaitors with twin entry valves?

Thanks for all the advice . I will get an expert in to deal with this. Do you think it is possible to get just this radiator repiped to 2 valves and leave all the rest of the radaitors with twin entry valves?

it is a very simple job for someone who knows what is to be done, and rads can be done independantly

remember bleeding a rad is getting rid of air not emptying water out. ive read a few times were people have said i drew off a bucket of water and the rad is warm, it will be, youve dragged warm water into it, doesnt mean it will flow

the bucket method is used to prove water flow from both flow and return and to remove airlocks

Hi,

Just asking for some much appreciated advice.
All the rads in my house are twin entry valve radiators. My central heating operates from a 30 year old kingfisher boiler.
All rads in my house work fine however the one in the living room does not heat up properly. it just gets a little bit warm but not like the other ones.
The rad in the living room is a double rad with the twin entry valves and a bleeding screw on each side of the rad.
Can anybody give me some advice on bleeding a rad like this as I think this will solve my problem. Which one of the two entries has to be closed whilst operating and do I need to open both to bleed?

tks for the help.

jeronimo917

Through my own personal experiances on this website, a lot of people don't understand the whole concept of a forum and asking for advice. They'll either just tell you to call a plumber or ridicule you for asking a question. Thankfully there are some people who are willing to help! :D

Sorry can't help myself.

How to bleed a radiator?
get a knife and slice it, blood will come pouring out, lol

Would you feel safe to drive around in an unloved 30 year old car?

The whole system sounds like a piece of crap.

Cut your losses and get a new system in.

30 years, Jeez.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you feel safe to drive around in an unloved 30 year old car?

The whole system sounds like a piece of crap.

Cut your losses and get a new system in.

30 years, Jeez.
My own system is 35 years old & like new! Boiler is new. Certainly the pipes & rads are great & system has always had Fernox in it. But most systems are in bad shape in 30 yrs or a lot less & maybe were never good when new anyhow.

converting a twin entry rad does not always work as usually the restriction is in the manifold. Ideally I would upgrade the system , but as everything else it comes down to funds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Close rad valves, pull bleed screw out, add 2...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Will be a 15-60 then prob ups2 Green lights ?
Replies
Views
  • Question
I wouldn’t even entertain turning them off...
Replies
Views
By close vented do you mean its a pressurized...
Replies
Views
New rads and a repipe if you have the money
Replies
Views
Back