Please help..., to repair or replace | Air Sourced Heat Pumps | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Please help..., to repair or replace in the Air Sourced Heat Pumps area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Debs

Hi there,
I live in a small 3 bed, 1920’s, ex council mid terrace, and am a fish out of water on here.
I have a Ravenheat 25/20 which is 12 years old, and has definitely seen better days. It is sited above the sink in my toilet (upstairs) on an internal wall with the flue going up through the loft and out the roof. It serves 7 rads (8 when I add an extra later this year), 1 bathroom, and 1 toilet with sink.
Unfortunately, it has not been serviced for 8 years. Lack of finance on our part has meant that as long as the boiler limped through, there was always something else in the house demanding it be replaced or repaired instead…
Because of this, I think the heating system has suffered and now I have the following problems:

Timer has stopped working;

Slow drip leak on pipe under boiler;

System ‘boils’ and cuts out on the emergency shut-off. Sometimes this will clear if the hot water tap is opened and scalding vapour is released… If not, the whole system has to be drained and refilled. This happens generally at least once every winter (last done late November 2010 and it took 3 attempts to clear it…);

In the last few days, hot water is only supplied when the heating is actively on;

The radiators do not have good heat output, especially the one in my living room. Most of the rads have ‘cold spots’ either top or bottom…

I have been told that the problem with the rads is that they need a Powerflush to clean them out of all the rubbish accumulated over the years. I have read on the net that I will need a Powerflush or I will lose any guarantee on the new boiler. I have also been advised that some companies will refuse to fit a new boiler unless I have a Magnaclean fitted along with the new boiler.
I am concerned that a big part of my budget is going to be taken up by getting the Powerflush, (about £300-£500 according to the net!). The Magnaclean price is open for debate… I currently only have a budget of around £1200 and will struggle to pull more together, but if the boiler can limp through the next couple of months, I might be able to push £1500/£1600 by the end of March.

I was therefore wondering what you guys advise as my best option?

Should I go repair?

Should I go replace?

I guess the Powerflush is pretty much a given, or can I get away without it? Do I need the Magnaclean?

Lastly, and most importantly, what new boiler (make and model, please) do you recommend to replace my Ravenheat 25/20?

I am not sure how much money I would have for the boiler purchase, as I do not know how much fitting it will cost me. Working on £1200, if I am losing £300-500 to a Powerflush, that already drops my ‘whole works’ budget to £900-£700.

I guess I would be looking for a decent boiler with timer for anything up to £800 and then work the installation fees around it, hoping that the boiler can limp through whilst I save?

Being completely lost, I am really keen to hear what do you guys suggest? (Does it sound like this boiler will keep going for another couple of months...?)

Thanks
Debs:rolleyes:

think you'd be best replacing this boiler as it seems to be on its last legs...

get a couple of quotes off different people, some companies are too dear and others are alot cheaper. The powerflush sounds like a must but you don't necesseraly need the magnaclean its an option you could just put inhibitor in the system, ask around and get a few quotes this will give you an idea of how much it will cost, you coud get a cheap boiler or a decent one with your budget.

Thanks GQulgley67,
I am trying to get someone to come out and quote me, but it is proving virtually impossible. I have contacted several engineers, three have said they are too busy, and 1 never rang me back. I am running out of recommendations, so I have put some feelers out to see if I can get some more contacts. I am waiting on a friend to come back to me, and I have another contact to try later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Anyone know of a repair service for Axpert...
Replies
Views
  • Question
the gas valve might just need resetting
Replies
Views
D
  • Question
Noisy Tap - Replace Breach??? Sounds like you...
Replies
Views
J
  • Question
To be fair some places in London have an...
Replies
Views
J
  • Question
They sound extremely suspect, I realise it's...
Replies
Views
Back