Plumber/Gas engineer moving to Devon/Dorset & looking for work. | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Plumber/Gas engineer moving to Devon/Dorset & looking for work. in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mikimac

Hi,
We are finally moving to Devon (Axminster) next week & I'm going to be looking for work. Travel isn't a problem & own tools, van, liabilities, GSR etc. I'd be grateful for any pointers in the right work related direction. Thanks :teeth_smile:

Hi

Wasn't sure by the post if you meant as a sub-contrator, employed or for yourself? Axminsters only got a population of 5,000 so they'll be established guys there.

If for yourself, you're gonna need a decent website for to give you an internet presense; need to get onto page one asap. Probably get the van sign written and maybe in the local free paper.

If you mean for someone else then maybe try BG as a subby or Whoever does Raglan Housing Association now. Pre-Heat have just let it go so someone must have taken it on?

Hi DaveTidy,

Thanks for the reply. Im self employed currently doing my own stuff, subbing to plumbing companies & builders so ideally pretty much the same kind of thing. We've been planning this move for the last couple if years but my partner got her job quicker than we anticipated so its a bit of a last minute dash. I appreciate your comments & I'll follow up your advice. Thanks

be prepared to drop your prices, brighton to Axminster may be to give a more relaxing lifestyle, mainly coz you wont be working as much, its not as rich as brighton down here.

Hi Lame plumber,

haha.. Yes, fully aware of the less income but plus life quality the Devon move is bringing. Other halfs mum lives near Sidmouth (another reason for the move) so we've been tooing & froing for years now swearing blind that we'd make the move. Appreciate your comments.

I think that unemployment is a but high as well, carpet factory closed, so more will be retraining as ? you got it PLUMBERS. I moved back to the south west in 04 from Berkshire and had to take a 50/60% cut in earnings, and it isn't any better, seems a fair amount of work around the Exeter area, still hope it go's ok for you,

Hi jtsplumbing,

Most of the work I've seen so far is either based in Exeter or Plymouth so I'm well prepared to travel an hour or so each way (that said its pretty much like that now anyway). I did my LPG changeover this year so (more hands on experience required) I'm hoping that with that & my oil ticket I'll be able to keep busy. Thanks for the feedback.

Hi jtsplumbing,

Most of the work I've seen so far is either based in Exeter or Plymouth so I'm well prepared to travel an hour or so each way (that said its pretty much like that now anyway). I did my LPG changeover this year so (more hands on experience required) I'm hoping that with that & my oil ticket I'll be able to keep busy. Thanks for the feedback.
Hi Most of building work is in Exeter just now not much going on in the Plymouth and surrounding area, I manage to tick over with some Holiday parks around me and other odds and ends, but lots of completion around here, new build in the pipeline but keeps getting put on hold, some things going on with Local council rebuilding one of the estates in Plymouth but pay rates are crap, All ways something going on around Exeter though Oil ok but maybe a thin around where you will be, best bet LPG around camp sites if you can get your foot in the door.

Thanks again for the info. I'm suddenly feeling it might be a bit tighter than I first thought! We move end of the week so I'll get cracking next week on trying to make some contacts & if necessary registering with some agencies to keep going initially.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hello Alex, I am a self employed engineer and...
Replies
Views
Neil Ambrose
N
Growing plumbing & heating company based near...
Replies
Views
I am about to start a training course to...
Replies
Views
Contact the op if you can help
Replies
Views
I am looking for a gas safe registered...
Replies
Views
Back