Plumber Mait on CWSC ? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Plumber Mait on CWSC ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan_the_plumber

Gas Engineer
Hello all.

Ok i've been told a lot of different things about using sealant, putty and PTFE on storage cisterns.

Apparently lindseed oil breaks plastic down, but does plumbers mait contain lindseed oil, or anything else that might degrate plastic cisterns?

Also there's an issue with some sealants on potable water systems, is Plumbers mait aright for potable?

All I really want to know is.....When replacing a ball valve or installing/repairing any other connection to cistern......... can I use plumbers mait?

Thanks a lot....Dan

I would say no, I Don't really use plumbers mait anymore, oldskool for wastes, traps and pan con's etc.

Hello all.

Ok i've been told a lot of different things about using sealant, putty and PTFE on storage cisterns.

Apparently lindseed oil breaks plastic down, but does plumbers mait contain lindseed oil, or anything else that might degrate plastic cisterns?

Also there's an issue with some sealants on potable water systems, is Plumbers mait aright for potable?

All I really want to know is.....When replacing a ball valve or installing/repairing any other connection to cistern......... can I use plumbers mait?

Thanks a lot....Dan

no, ptfe and a few poly washers will do the trick

Ok....so just relying on rubber washers provided on traps etc and plastic washers on storage cisterns and WC siphons etc ???????????????

I'm just a bit paranoid about getting leaks......if no sealant used.....how do i get peace of mind?????????????

Thanks v much :)

what ever your fitting just whack it up as tight as it will go. guaranteed.. maybe

hahahaha....yeah it's the maybe that gets me....haha

Ok I think I'll stay away from it as much as I can then.

As always....much appreciated

Dan :)

Ok....so just relying on rubber washers provided on traps etc and plastic washers on storage cisterns and WC siphons etc ???????????????

I'm just a bit paranoid about getting leaks......if no sealant used.....how do i get peace of mind?????????????

Thanks v much :)[/QUOTE

after you have brought down your first ceiling you will wonder what all the fuss is about

Plumbers mait is not suitable for potable water. If you must use a sealant use fernox lsx although it shouldn't be needed.

just use the washers supplied with fill valves and syphons nothing else is needed, you will get a feel for how tight you can go

i never use plumbers mate.
on cisterns if its a tank connector i just use the rubber and give it a good tighten,
changing ballvalves, again use whats on the fitting and replace the fibre washer on the cold feed.
i use jet blue for most other things.

The tank conectors I use (most from BES) don't come with any washers so I use 2 poly washers and LSX. Probably don't need LSX but I'm too chicken to experiment.

Nothing worse than a slow drip from a tank connector at 5:00pm when you've been in the loft all day and just filled the new tank up.

I bought a tub of plumber's mait which I've never opened and never used. There's nothing I do where there isn't a better sealant to use. But then someone on this forum said it was good for a particular job and I must have felt convinced so I bought some. But now I can't remember what the job was.

aye with their polys .. thats what i do, no issues yet ... :willy_nilly:

When I replace ball valves in a CWSC I try to split the valve inside the tank and replace from there rather then disturb the tap connector outside. That way if you get a weep or slight leak it won't cause any damage.

I use putty on olives in compression joints - I know I shouldn't need to but it tends to make it easier to get a watertight joint.

Fill valves, flush valves and syphons in toilets I just reply on the rubber washers that come with them, haven't had too many issues yet. However when I come across a fill valve etc that's been siliconed in it starts leaking after a couple of years and a pain to swap!

Here is how you should do it on a tank connector. Use plastic washers too but if you aint got any it will still work 100%. No need to use silicon (sure sign of an amateur) or boss white (numpty) or plumbers mate (bigger numpty)
4.JPG

The modern plumber :lol: Whit you still doin up at this time Mike. I've got an excuse........i'm pacing myself for hogmanay

I'm not still up, just got up. I can't get out of the habit of getting up at 5 to walk the dogs prior to leaving at an ungodly hour to get to a distant plumb center at 7.30.

It's a good time to catch up with paperwork etc. though as you don't get many disturbances.

I'm not still up, just got up. I can't get out of the habit of getting up at 5 to walk the dogs prior to leaving at an ungodly hour to get to a distant plumb center at 7.30.

It's a good time to catch up with paperwork etc. though as you don't get many disturbances.

Ah...paperwork, we meet again my old friend.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Brilliant, thanks KoP - I'll give it a go and...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yours is an old fotic cylinder, Thermal store...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes or they do an extra tank so brings it upto...
Replies
Views
Surely if your going to put lsx on the basin...
Replies
Views
Back