Plumber mait putty | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Plumber mait putty in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

AI Plumber

Gas Engineer
Hi everyone,

I have bought plumber mait putty from screw fix because I left the one I use normally at home. When I scooped some out of the pot to roll it on my hand it just stuck to my hand like glue. The more I rolled it on my hand the more it got stuck everywhere.

The one I use normally has a play dough texture and does not stick like glue.

was this a wrong one I bought or is it just that particular pot that was messed up ? Has this happened to anyone else ?

What are you using that for? Iv had the same pot in my van for years now lol!

I was going to use it for replacing a pop up waste with rod because it came with the tap with a click clack waste when replacing the tap. I think that pot of plumbers mait was a manufacturers fault. Is your plumbers mait really sticky ?

Virtually never used the stuff because it is sticky and also oozes forever.

Temperature ? I would use silicone on a waste. And with gassafe never found a good use for it

+1 for silicone on the waste

I always silicone onto the waste, smooth it round then stick it in the basin,
Silicone the bottom in put the supplied washer on so it looks neat and tighten up

+1 for silicone on the waste

I always silicone onto the waste, smooth it round then stick it in the basin,
Silicone the bottom in put the supplied washer on so it looks neat and tighten up

Don't even bother with washer unless have to

Am I the only person who doesn't use silicone on wastes and find they seal fine without it

Am I the only person who doesn't use silicone on wastes and find they seal fine without it

I don't use silicone on bath or shower wastes unless the bottom edge is rough and doesn't look like it'll seal

But always silicone on sink wastes I find the sink washers are usually cheap and don't do a good job

Temperature ? I would use silicone on a waste. And with gassafe never found a good use for it

I also use silicone on wastes, and I find it usually fine with rubber seal below. I now prefer "ForeverWhite" as ordinary anti fungus silicone can still go black.
The Plumbers Mait just looks bad and it squeezes out around the waste edge long after joint is done. Only time I tried it was on a couple of faulty cistern to pan joints & I thought it poor. A lot of modern basins are, as we know, badly moulded at waste and only thing bluffs the waste joint is white silicone IMO.
Lots of plumbers use Plumbers Mait on wastes and pedestal joint, both not good IMO and it 'melts' down the pedestal. Using it on cistern to pan joints just risks the stuff slumping into the pan and causing hell.
I went to a new built house to advise my brothers neighbour (a very fussy bloke) why his Velroy & Boch cloakroom loo wouldn't flush even one bit of loo paper. I flushed it & the water just spun in one direction with one piece of paper. I just looked between pan & cistern to see that Plumbers Mait had been used. Git refused to let me sort it when he got this free info of me. He is so fussy he doesn't want tradesmen.

Last edited:
I don't use silicone on bath or shower wastes unless the bottom edge is rough and doesn't look like it'll seal

But always silicone on sink wastes I find the sink washers are usually cheap and don't do a good job

Instructions even ask you to use silicone on some shower wastes, such as McAlpine standard easy clean shower waste, so I would give it every chance to seal well.
I had to replace same waste on a shower because the ceiling developed a big stain. Luckily just a vinyl floor covering & a bit of flooring to remove and there was the ceiling below the shower trap near erroded away. Idiot installer had just loosely tightened the trap and with no silicone. Give me the opportunity to tell the customers what an idiot they had got and also show them no silicone at all used. That's the danger if you don't follow MIs and things go wrong

Last edited:
I use plumbers mait on all wastes except shower when I use silicon, suppose it's just how your taught!

If it sticks to your hands it's because they are too hot, run them under cold water and remember to use a ball of plumbers mait to clean up plumbers mait, leaves a brilliant seal if done correctly and only oozes for a while!

Instructions even ask you to use silicone on some shower wastes, such as McAlpine standard easy clean shower waste, so I would give it every chance to seal well.
I had to replace same waste on a shower because the ceiling developed a big stain. Luckily just a vinyl floor covering & a bit of flooring to remove and there was the ceiling below the shower trap near erroded away. Idiot installer had just loosely tightened the trap and with no silicone. Give me the opportunity to tell the customers what an idiot they had got and also show them no silicone at all used. That's the danger if you don't follow MIs and things go wrong

I'm not saying I don't use silicone on wastes when the MI's say so but when theres a good thick rubber and it dosnt say to silicone, i'll not always silicone, although I do tighten my shower wastes on as tight as possible,

It's also great for rolling in a ball and throwing at the lower trades! Electricians, wood monkeys and such like :19:

I've always used plumbers mait aswell, only really use it on click clack basin wastes though (sausage on top and a sausage on the bottom shoved up into the gap) oo errr!

Generally though pop-up wastes (the type where theres no backnut as such as its all one piece with the connecter for the pop-up) I just use the supplied washers as its easy to get a seal when you don't have a backnut for water to leak through.

I normally curse the people who use silicone on basin wastes when I have to change one, even though most people I know use it.

Slotted clicker wastes are about the only thing I use plumbers mait for though. Never use anything other than washers on shower and bath wastes aswell.

Throw that crap away you don't need it, if its a basin your fitting go to Toolstation and get a basin mate ( 37534 page 328 £1.17 ) it's a cone shaped block of rubber, put some washing up liquid on it to help slide her in and bang job done with no mess.

Throw that crap away you don't need it, if its a basin your fitting go to Toolstation and get a basin mate ( 37534 page 328 £1.17 ) it's a cone shaped block of rubber, put some washing up liquid on it to help slide her in and bang job done with no mess.

So that screws on from below instead of the plastic nut?

How do you seal the waste to the basin above though?
To stop the water passing under the waste when the plugs in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
You could wrap it with insulation tape to make...
Replies
Views
S
Pull the screw up whilst you untighten it.
Replies
Views
Alpha 2/3 manual. Shows variant with air...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
You could try greasing the spindle of the gas...
Replies
Views
Back