Plumber Pete,guidance required | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Plumber Pete,guidance required in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Plumber Pete

Hi Folks,

First of all Id like to say Hi.. my name is Pete :p im new to the site..seen it had plenty of posts and can be helpful for future reference so I thought I'd join.

Im 23 and I stay in Glasgow..I am a timeserved plumber and heating engineer.I also was a Corgi Registered installer until my ticket ran out lol now gas safe I know but I havent renewed due to an injury which is why im looking for some help.

To cut a long story short on ..July 10th 2010 I under went a hip osteochrondroplasty on the left hip..football injury which I sustained 2 years prior to the op.The osteochrondroplasty is major surgery..deemed more complex than your standard hip replacement.Very rare..only discovered in the last 10 years..very few surgeons in the world that can perform the operation.Very lucky to have got the operation..and 1 of the surgeons happens to be in Scotland.As you can imagine the waiting list was crazy.I have been off for about 17months now.Im 6months post op...walking about but still recovering.

In the near future I realise I cant go back to the heavy way of life in plumbing due to my hip.Ive spent alot of time thinking about what to do next..I find myself stuck..all I know is ive spent all my time since I left school gaining my plumbing qualifications and experience.I feel it would be ashame to put it to waste..ofcourse the possibility of returning is an option but not in the near future,only time will tell.

Im looking for advice and guidance on where I can turn to next..I realise that im young..inexperienced but any help would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks Pete

I don't know what your op involved and to tell you the truth i don't care. 17 months and you have not struck a blow. Yer at the ham! Bet you are a black belt in the playstation though? and manage to get yourself out at the weekend! Get off yer rse and make an effort.
I worked with an old guy years ago who at 64 went in for a double hip replacement. 2 weeks later he was out laying kerbs. He is in his 70's now and still going out to the dancing..

It's all about attitude mate and wi your's to the graft you would be better taking your chances on the invalidity

No reason you can't plumb.. if you really cant lift one legged - get an apprentice in for the days you need heavy work. If your time served and skilled get your gas ticket, get doing landlord safety checks, servicing, not heavy work.

Get back into work - you have the skills - adapt.

I've got a tennis and golfers elbow, bossing lead destroys it.. just have to get on and factor in it will take longer.

OR.. get an office job looking out the window wishing your were outside.

Hi. Sorry to here of your problems. However the trade is so board, it is not difficult to find an area that suits your disability (which will improve). I like others i am sure, have worked under the control of people with fancie titles who ain't got a clue regarding the trade. Organisations like councils, maintenance companies and alike have a need for people with the knowledge you have collected. The thing that stops a lot of plumbers following this route is the poor pay. But plumbing when coupled with the admin skills to be learnt in such a post, would offer you greater oppertunities when your ailments improve. Your mention of gas experience suggests gas servicing as an option as it must be the lightest of jobs within the trade. Good Luck

Hi all,Thanks for you replies......

cheers tamz lol 64 with a double hip op and back to work after 2 weeks...thats just crazy..I would like to say its inspiring but its crazy..again a hip replacement is very different to the osteochondroplasty.If i could go back to work tomorrow I would!!I had to read your message twice for it to make sence..at first i thought harsh..but reading for a second time I couldnt stop laughing..thanks cheered me up lol

Thanks hoodclaw - Yes I have limited experience doing landlord safety checks, servicing.I found that I didnt use my ticket that often with my employer..at the time I didnt gain anything from having the ticket financially..now that im not working and my tickets out.. its a route ive became unsure about.Obviously its 1 of the best options I have is to go get my ticket..go out and do the servicing..would you advise on going alone or am i best to fit in with a company to gain further experience?Thanks

Avatar - lol well thats what they call it isnt it.. timeserved/qualified lol My guess is you think im young and wont under stand what your implying..something for the older generation to laugh at lol but I had 1 of the best apprenticeships going..taught me alot..as much as you think im a grasshopper ive seen many young plumbers out shine the experienced..i can include myself in that..im not an know it all..if i wasnt sure on something im confident enough to ask for advice.:)

Thanks justlead1 - At the moment I see gas servicing to be most likely..to be honest i never thought about the councils..they are normally very good with people that have disabilities..very good suggestion thanks..thats an avenue I can explore.Obviously the area I see holding me back is my inexperience to other titles..I know of titles such as operations manager to clerk of works but thats about as far as my experience takes me.Its never been something that I thought i would have to look out for.I know I could go and get further education in building,drawings etc but i just feel very unsure and I feel like the decision I make next is very important.

thanks for all of your messages...much appreciated :)

;)

True story about the ganger though with the double hip op. We all thought he was off his head but he obviously though he was fit enough and paced himself.

A lot of getting over an op is down to you. Just look at the soldier who lost his legs and ran the marathon. Now that must have been hard, and painful, but he did it.

Watertight's idea about the teaching is good if you are switched on with the theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hi Did you ever find out what the issue was?
Replies
Views
welcome! I am sure some of the guys will be...
Replies
Views
R
Hi Fubar We're looking at different methods...
Replies
Views
Ray Stafford
R
Hi thanks all for your advice. I'm going to...
Replies
Views
Yes, stagnation is a concern but I would have...
Replies
Views
Back