plumbers vs iron | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss plumbers vs iron in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammers4spanner

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
What is it with plumbers not wanting to do iron i get loads of phone calls from plumbers looking for a bit of work and as soon as i mention iron i get the 'oh i dont do iron' . Do the colleges not show the basics of pipefitting anymore ??

I dont have the set up for iron but used to loads of it when i worked for my old boss in loads of places prisons, schools, youth centres to name a few never had a problem doing it and wouldnt if i went or a job that involved doing it. Did it in college when i did nvq level 2

Yeah they show the students how to thread half inch and they have to pipe up a rad including a semi passover and two offset bends, but lets be honest it takes ages to do anything in screwed, I don't like it when I go to an old one pipe iron system, and if alterations are needed, usually go to copper!.
The pipefitters on site usually say that they hate plumbing and that plumbers are mamby pamby with their little copper pipes, so it works both ways!!

Plumbers always did 4'' screwed dry risers and fitters would not touch copper years ago its all one trade now.

There are times when you can't avoid using iron so I don't know what the guys do when they come up against this. Probably use copper as I've had to replace a few copper gas pipes through communal stair wells with iron in my time.

I'm a heating engineer so we use both. If you've got the right tools iron is easier than copper.

I can see it going back to iron on gas supplies soon to stop the thefts and its not as cheap as it used to be

i can see the point of using iron on gas, but for the life of me i cant understand why it is used for water. why install something that starts to rot the moment it is used ? (and yes i know gas is wet) i was being metaphorical.

There are times when you can't avoid using iron so I don't know what the guys do when they come up against this. Probably use copper as I've had to replace a few copper gas pipes through communal stair wells with iron in my time.

did you weld the gas pipes or thread them in the stair wells???

Some people prefer screwed iron to welded as it is thought the pipe is weakened either side of the weld.

I was always under impression over certain size weld was prefered , could be wrong tho maybe have just been on specs for works,

On domestic it's threaded but you have to weld over a certain size. I think it may be 2" but I'm not sure as it's out of scope for me as i don't do commercial.

All gas pipework over 2" has to be welded, gas pipework between 1" and 2" up to a certain pressure which I can't remember off the top of my head may be screwed but above that must be welded. All pipework below 1" may use either method.

I'll check that though later this morning.

All gas pipework over 2" has to be welded, gas pipework between 1" and 2" up to a certain pressure which I can't remember off the top of my head may be screwed but above that must be welded. All pipework below 1" may use either method.

I'll check that though later this morning.

That pressure was 500mbar.

so who here actually does and can weld?
something i do want to learn.

I do, not as often as I'd like though. Mine's more maintenance welding as opposed to pipefitting.

cool, is it hard to do?
from what i'v read it sounds it with diferant flame types for diferant metal welds and the configuration of using oxy acetylene with flash arrestors etc.

I did it at college, but only time I see it is in the corner of a room, where you couldnt get a thread machine around it and for me it isnt worth buying the tools for it as don't do enough of it.

ahh, what form is used to weld pipes then?
think i'm getting conused here.

Arc or gas mainly. Hardly ever mig as you don't have enough control over it. Depends what consultant specs. Some sites i worked at in London HAS to be gas welded. But generally arc is the common method.

Last edited:
It doesn't just stop there though You need to know right electrode, correct ampage. Then youve got positional welding, butt welds Root runs welding flanges, seams lol. It's a whole new world you need to learn properly. I have been lucky and learnt from a good old pipe fitter welder.

Thanks for that Markaqua, is a whole new thing, dont know how i would be able to learn it cos just doing a course at a college is not enough is it,
you need someone who knows their stuff to really learn it.

Probably a lot of so called "plumbers" don't know how to do anything but push fit plastic these days.

Not a lot of call for iron personally but I do get some from time to time. I tend to hire welding sets when I need them rather than keep my own.

I used to have the tickets for high pressure system welding at one time. All long since expired now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
First, ensure the exact position of the leak...
Replies
Views
Hey there, My organisation - the CIPD - is...
Replies
Views
Oh dear, welcome to the forum, I will move...
Replies
Views
Wow thanks for posting. And thanks for posting...
Replies
Views
T
  • Question
Have a look inside would be a starting point...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back