Plumbing boiler stove like radiator/ some advise needed. | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Plumbing boiler stove like radiator/ some advise needed. in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ireland

Hi,

I would like to install a boiler stove instead of the open fireplace. I would like to link it into an existing open-vent oil central heating system. Unfortunately all pipework in the house is underfloor and the fireplace is far away from the oil boiler.

I came across the option to plumb it like a radiator. There are two radiators close to the fireplace in the living room. Now, there are several questions.

1. One concern is the low diameter (15mm) of the radiator pipes. Since there are two radiators near the fireplace, would it be possible to feed the boiler into both of them with t-pieces behind the boiler to split the flow into both radiator connections?

2. Where do I connect the top and bottom boiler pipe with? For me it would make sense to connect the radiator hot flow pipe into the boiler return and the boiler hot flow into return of the radiators.

3. To avoid overheating of the living room, I would put thermostatic valves (probably the fast reacting motor driven ones) into the two living room radiators, so that the stove would heat only the remaining parts of the house.

4. What should I do regarding a pump? Since there is already a pump in the oil boiler housing, it should be enough. I cannot find any other point, where the whole return flow of the house is accessable, because there are t-junctions under the floor. Any ideas how I can avoid the flow through the oil boiler when the stove is producing enough heat?

5. For the case of a power cut I would hang a big radiator in the room above the stove. Since there is already a normal radiator, how can I avoid overheating of this room. My idea was a normally open motor valve, but some folks told me, it would have a negative influence for the gravity flow. And, o.k., in case of a pump fault w/o power down...

6. How big should the heat loss radiator be for a 6kw (waterside) stove?

A lot of questions, I know.

I look forward for your help.

more thought should be put into how your are gonna stop your home from blowing up, hope this helps

Look up "systemlink "equipment on the net, its for your application

This is my first post on this forum & I am advising you get a heating engineer with experience of solid fuel link- up systems. Pipework must be 100% in every way. You can use a twin coil vented cylinder system with 4 pipes from fire or single coil & a neutralizer ( Dunsley?) & 2 pipes from fire. Either way u need extra pump. Gravity pipework is 28mm. Linking to 15mm rad circuit is wrong. Repipe if necessary. Check spec of stove.

No you cannot do what you put in your post - potentially downright dangerous, illegal and probably wouldnt work in any case.

Must be open vented system

Look at thermal stores as these are the best way to go.

As WHPES says, thermal store and treat yourself to an engineer who knows what they're doing.

I agree a Thermal store would have advantages :- (1) neutral point - so no problems with pipe circuits heating others. (2) only 2 pipes ( gravity) needed from fire to thermal store. (3) mains high pressure hot water. It has problems though. Installing a direct unit would mean the water inside it is the heating system ( boiler & rads) water, so will add large volume water to system, so needs a lot inhibitor. Store tends to pick up all the gunge from the system which lies in the base and rots it, hence the term " sludge buckets". Probably needs overhaul of the heating - so not an easy job either. Store not cheap. Other options I mentioned earlier have good & bad points also. Not a job to mess about with. Get an engineer take a look.

Hi, there,

thank you for the posts. The boilerstoveonline (or similar) lads had something on the website and a fella here in the forum (was an old post) had a similar system running. That is why I am asking. It is an open system. But, anyway, I think I scrapp the idea, to much mess.

Regards, Dirk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Are you using just the multi fuel or the oil...
Replies
Views
D
H2 with combi and stove? Combi sealed system...
Replies
Views
You’re 200 miles away - he is there. You’re...
Replies
Views
Thanks mate. Been very lucky, a neighbour...
Replies
Views
Back