plumbing experiene | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss plumbing experiene in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

calvia

hello all

My name is Tavia and I am new to the forum. I am a 28 year old female and I am looking to get some experience behind me in the plumbing trade. I studied all three Technical Certificate levels of plumbing from 2006 to 2009. During and after that time I have tried my best looking for a placement even offering free labour but no success!! Due to financial circumstances I have had to put it on hold and I am now working as a HCA in a hospital. Even though I enjoy my job I do not want to just rely on this alone. I would like another qualification under my belt, preferably plumbing. I have even gone to the point where I was willing to pay for a course that cost over 4k to do my NVQ level 2 and go out to get experience but unfortunately or fortunately the funding fell through for over 25's.
I have been told by friends and family to go it alone but I don't really have the confidence to. Even though a lot of plumbing is common sense, I would still prefer to work with, work for free or shadow someone as I like to take pride in my work. Make sure it's done properly and not be a cowboy/girl plumber.
As I have been reading on other posts I am not the only stuck in the same boat, which is comforting but for me myself I don't want to put what I have studied to waste.
I would really appreciate some advice on what to do. I am learning to drive which is the right way to go. But is there anything else? Is there anyone willing to spare their time to help me or anyone they know to help me???

Anyway thank you for your time to all who read this and look forward all replies.

Welcome to the madhouse Tavia.

As you say, you're not the only one in this boat. All I can suggest is keep at it. Start small. Pick up a few wee maintenance jobs where you can. These'll boost your confidence and start getting your name about.

And use us. Don't be shy in asking questions where you're unsure. Oh, and you'll soon realise a good proportion of custards are liars and then there are those who think you should work for free! You'll soon learn to spot them.

Welcome Tavia,
I was in the same boat as yourself, asking for work for experience (paid or unpaid) but wasn't getting anywhere so i set up on my own in september. i've had work since starting and every job gives you a little more confidence as you progress, although there have been a couple where i wished i had that extra bit of experience - installed a rad on gravity fed system and couldn't figure why system wasn't filling properly and heating rads, until after running between f/e tank and boiler and checking pipework for 2 hrs found that there was a short in wiring to pump! just got to try and think on your feet and (as i've found) make a note of problems found and learn from them, oh and not every job is the same ... i now go to jobs expecting the worse case scenario and makes my day to find that i've had an easy job and a nice wage :)
just keep pestering for work or if you get the urge to go it alone, give it a go. as croppie said, if you are unsure of anything there are helpful people on here to give advice.
i'm not exactly snowed under with work or up to speed as someone who's been in the trade a while, but that will come in time (hopefully!), the main thing to me is that i'm enjoying doing the work and taking on the challenges ... oh, and getting paid :)
best of luck and keep at it!

Hello Tav, instinct tells me someone on here will be willing to assist you, I hope.
If you were in the Croydon area, Surrey, I will willingly take you on, assuming you are prepared to catch a bus to work or wait where you can be ''picked up''.

For a start, get some basic plumbing tools. Do jobs for friends and family to help build your confidence. Once you start charging serious money, avoid friends and family.

Re: plumbing experience

Hi guys

Thanks for all your advice and encouragement. It's much appreciated. I will take it on all board :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hello thanks for your post and joining the...
Replies
Views
O
  • Article
Are at home Level 2 courses actually viable...
Replies
Views
OLG0824
O
Hi there, looking to gain experience as a...
Replies
Views
Wow thanks for posting. And thanks for posting...
Replies
Views
Back