Plumbing Intensive (v) Apprenticeship? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Plumbing Intensive (v) Apprenticeship? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

melpa04

Hi everyone, new to the forum!

I'm a 21 year old guy looking to start a career in plumbing and am a bit confused as to whether i should do an intensive course which will teach me everything and will take half the time, or do an apprenticeship which will take me 3 years.

I'm interested in doing the intensive but my main concern is that, wouldn't employers prefer to take someone who has done a 3 year apprenticeship over someone who's learnt everything is such a small amount of time? I believe the course is about £4000 which a lot but is it worth it? Has anyone here done the intensive?

I've contacted a few colleges about apprenticeships and most have a huge waiting list so i could be 24-26 years old by the time i finish the course so it just seems like the intensive is my best bet.

Thanks to anyone who replies!

someone with the 4 years apprenticeship required to be leve 3 qualified

an intensive course which you pay £4000 for wont teach you all you need to know really. employers will much rather employ somebody who has undertaken a full apprenticeship.

Paying £4000 won't guarantee you a job as a plumber. Most companies prefer time served guys for a reason. Experience.
Think of how thing have always been done.
A lad joins a trade (any trade) as an apprentice. He serves his time being shown and learning all different aspects and skills along with all the mundane but infinity useful things in the process.
When his time is out he becomes a journeyman, moving between different workplaces and learning more of the trade and taking responsibility for what he does and becoming very experienced in the process.
Some may stick at this level but others move on to what used to be called a master (self employed) where they put their hard learned skills and knowledge to even better use.

If you were an employer faced with a journeyman or a 3 month paper tradesman who would you choose.
It is not hard to figure it out hence why so many course guys go self employed and many more go do something else when it doesn't work out to plan.

Colleges don't do apprenticeships, employers do. You will need to find someone willing to employ you as an apprentice.
That will be a big task as places are few and far between but there are always some if you look hard enough.
Go for an apprenticeship if you get the chance and if not choose your training provider wisely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

My name is Chanel i’m 19 years old i’ve just...
Replies
Views
Wow thanks for posting. And thanks for posting...
Replies
Views
Hello thanks for your post and joining the...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I am currently in the forces...
Replies
Views
As far as I know they've stopped all the short...
Replies
Views
Back