Poo smell coming from under floorboards ensuite/bedroom | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Poo smell coming from under floorboards ensuite/bedroom in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Can anyone help me with this? I get this smell at low level - around the floor area of ensuite and bedroom floor near the ensuite - intermittently. If you put your nose down close to the ceramic tiles in the bathroom or the skirtings in the bedroom you can smell it. Can a smell come through tiles?? It happens usually when someone has used the shower or occasionally the toilet. I have checked the water traps and they are OK. The quick flow shower outlet only has that drain type smell. I have also taken the lid off the boxing where the soil pipe is. I removed the dirgo valve to check. That smells a bit of drains - different smell - but seems to be OK. We have had the manholes up on the drive to check the drains are flowing properly - they are and they don't smell.

We have no signs of rat or mouse infestation. But this is definitely a poo smell, rather like a bad eggy fart x 100 - sorry to be so graphic, it does not smell like a decaying rat. We sometimes get it downstairs - the downstairs loo is under the ensuite - and it seems worse where the gap is between the skirting boards and laminate floor. Or you walk through a patch of it going up the stairs which are opposite the downstairs loo door.

Anyone got any ideas?

A sewer vent that has been left uncapped or not extended through to atmosphere.
It could also be an old branch pipe that has been left open ended

A sewer vent that has been left uncapped or not extended through to atmosphere.
It could also be an old branch pipe that has been left open ended
The soil pips/dirgo only goes half way up the ensuite wall, not out of the roof. But I am pretty sure the smell isn't coming out of there. Likely to be the plumbing into and around the ensuite stuff then, the shower/sink/loo. We have tiled floors . . . . ! But maybe better to go through the toilet ceiling down below.

Might be worth getting someone in with a drain camera.
They will be able to see if the existing plumbing has any issues.

If that all stable, then it would require further investigation - which could be quite costly

Similar plumbing topics

Based on your extra information, you've...
Replies
Views
Safety valve should not be discharging into...
Replies
Views
O
CCTV survey has been and gone. The main soil...
Replies
Views
O
F
On stub stacks ive never known a builder to...
Replies
Views
L
if you cant see where the leak is coming from...
Replies
Views
Back