poor workmanship but no one cares | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss poor workmanship but no one cares in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

stevetheplumber

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
for about the last ten years ive been going out to an elderly lady in a HA flat with bad waste pipes the pipework from the sink is almost flat to the point where it disapears into the wall about 2 metres long when i first went it was copper and i changed it to plastic with a pair of mc alpine couplings so it could be taken out and cleaned (thnk ive done iit twice since)
she wont have ashley homes in as theyve flooded her kitchen twice trying to do it yesaterday she phones and tells me its blocked again but shes had a new kitchen
when i got there theyve fitted the kitchen so that the pipework is now behind units and cant be removed and fitted a extendable trap to take the new vailant condense as well as the washing machine
so now the previously flat waste actually back falls back a couple of inches
she tells me she told the fitters it was bad but they didnt do anything what ever happened to preventive planning bring back the clerk of the works

It's the same on housing association heating jobs mate. Nobody cares any more. Chuck it in get out quick. Nothing flushed, nothing made good, clips rarely used. Where's the pride in your own work gone. When I was an apprentice if it wasn't right it was ripped out and started again. I've come to the conclusion now that nobody really cares until something goes pear shaped a year or so down the line.

H.A work was an eye opener for me. Making good that looked like it was flicked from the moving work van as it sped off to get home early, reg's completely ignored, dangerous wiring, Steve wonder quality pipe work, sludged up system with a new boiler hanging off it.

The problem is the maintenance contractors aren't paid enough to want to get involved in sorting out someone else's mess, the boilers seem to be fitted by other contractors who don't have to maintain them and chuck it in and the H.A doesn't give a toss because the repairs are covered by the maintenance contract.

Everyones still making money though so no ones cares.

Seems like you have to turn a blind eye to stay in the good books.

I blame the people at the top, squeezing every last bit of profit out of it. Us poor sods at the end of the line get left with the crumbs and a bitter taste in our mouths. As you try to make a living out of it.

I blame the government and the queen and the foreigners ( except stan ) and the fly tippers and the fast trackers and the banks. But most importantly I blame the smoking ban!

It's the same on housing association heating jobs mate. Nobody cares any more. Chuck it in get out quick. Nothing flushed, nothing made good, clips rarely used. Where's the pride in your own work gone. When I was an apprentice if it wasn't right it was ripped out and started again. I've come to the conclusion now that nobody really cares until something goes pear shaped a year or so down the line.
Went to do a landlord check today where they have had a new boiler fitted, as it happens by British Gas.They have taken out a floor standing ci boiler c/w tanks, cylinder etc out and fitted new one in a room 20ft away all in six hrs Boiler is fitted 12" below bottom of wall units and about same from worktop all so they can fit a horizontal flue under the outside soffits. Could of been fitted inline with vertical flue no problem. Cementing up of flue outside looks like the gobbo was thrown at it from other side of garden. Outside flue is about 18" long to get past soffit. God knows what pipe work was like in loft. Presumably supposed to have powerflushed system as well all for the bargain price of 3.5k and 6hrs of effort.Yes it works but the job looks a complete dog. If as an apprentice I didn't put all the slotted screw heads the same way that were on show I would get my ar*e kicked.

Back