Positive or Negative head pump.. whats the difference.. what do i need?? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Positive or Negative head pump.. whats the difference.. what do i need?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ee04rrv

Hi,

Apologies if this has been posted before.. im still unsure..:confused:

As the subject suggest, I need help in purchasing a shower pump. I already have one installed, a Salamander ESP 80 CPV, however, this is a pump, which distinguishes automatically whether the supply is positive or negative. This pump has broken down, out of warranty, and a new one needed! im looking to buy a stuart turner monsoon, as i have heard these are very good in quality.. however, im unsure whether i need a positive one or a negative one.

Here are the details..

2 floor house.. cold water storage tank in the kind of in the attic.. the current pump (in a utility closet - based on the 2nd floor), is located just beneath it (about 1 metre below), with 1 bathroom, to the side of it... and a shower unit on the first floor. The pump is for cold water flow.

Question is.. is this positive or negative flow? im not a plumber, just an average joe.. trying to get the damn shower unit working again... lol! please try and provide non-technical answers.. as they will just confuse me... and prob lead to more questions.. lol!

Thank you in advance... ;)

your pump is positive head, you would need negative head if your pump was above the tank in the loft.

Shower head higher than the tank = Negative head, shower head lower than the tank= positive head.

Monsoon pump needs cold tank 1 metre above cylinder with dedicated feeds
You will need positive head pump
And great pumps far better than salamander

Cheers for the replies all.. almost easy enough for me to understand.. ;)
positive it is!!;)

My shower head is above the height of the tank so to make the shower run I have to drop the head in the bath to make enough head to trigger the pump (a second hand one from a customer who I installed a combi boulder for). No it's not that I'm too much of a tightarse to fork out for a negative head pump - I just still haven't got round (or saved up for) to fitting that Heatstore cylinder and solar panel I have planned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

A
  • Question
Stnd wrong pump for a high pressure shower...
Replies
Views
My plan is move the pump and relocate it into...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi Phil, this is really disappointing to hear...
Replies
Views
  • Question
No, I agree they are an excellent unit. I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Dont just bung a pump in , are you neg head or...
Replies
Views
Back