Potterton Gold 24 H (Heat Only) How hot ? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Potterton Gold 24 H (Heat Only) How hot ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Dad at the age of 84 decided recently that his Trianco TRG 45 Solid Fuel Boiler was too much for him to cope with anymore. He now has a Potterton Gold 24 H (Heat Only) but finds the change rather difficult to cope with. We were told that the boiler is designed to run at full heat setting so when just a few rads come on the heat off them is overpowering. With his old boiler it was a slow heat up with the pump on all the time but now he has a rather on off situation. He needs to have some overnight heat on and this is one issue I need to sort out for him.
Any advice most appreciated.

how many rads are there in the house ! do not you have a programer and room thermostat ! also rads could do with thermostatic valves

have the radiators got thermostatic valves fitted, is there a room-stat fitted. There is no reason to run the boiler at max temp, if you have proper controls fitted, the boiler stat will only determine how hot the rads are to the touch, not how hot the room temp is.

The house is a semi ( large ) 3 beds all with new TRV and no TRV in bathroom and downstairs there are four rads but one small one that has no TRV in the sitting room ! The control has been fitted in the kitchen as that's where the old boiler was there is a Drayton Lifestyle LP112 and a basic room stat TRS1.

So looks like everything is included, should work ok. If you turn the valves of manually do the rads go cold? they should do. When the room stat is turned down does the heating turn off/

if you set it up correctly house should not be getting "red hot "
I always say to my customers keep rooms stat around 19 degrees and trv downstairs on about mark 4-5 and upstairs on mark 2-4
and when ch is set up correctly house just feel ok ,
Boiler thermostat should be on mark 4-5 not on max ,unless is -10 outside

Do you not think there is a problem having a TRV in the Kitchen where the room stat is ? and also its not that far away from the cooker hob.

From what I can see the boiler casing has to come off to turn down the temp.

Do you not think there is a problem having a TRV in the Kitchen where the room stat is ? and also its not that far away from the cooker hob.

From what I can see the boiler casing has to come off to turn down the temp.

I have never come across one of these boilers and doubted it when you said there was no access to the boiler thermostat so i looked up the MI's.
What a totally stupid idea. In the perfect world with the perfect system this may seem like a good idea but most systems are not perfect and the boiler temp needs adjusting at some point by the user.
Get the installers back to set it lower and while they are there get the room stat moved out of the kitchen. A room stat should not ever be fitted in a kitchen.

Best idea for you and for peace of mind for your dad, is to get a programmable room stat fitted in the hall. This controls maximum and minimum room temperatures, This would mean you could set a minimum temperature for the house to get which will mean you know he is not sitting freezing.

I get the feeling this boiler is from the cheep as chips stable am I correct ?
In my own home the boiler temp is changed often between summer for hot water only to a range of settings in winter. This is an older type boiler with a 1 > 6 setting. We also have in the Hall a seven day programmable room stat that does a great job.
I think my Dads system has been done on the cheap until the bill came that is.

Last edited:
Should I be concerned about this boiler ? My only observation up to yet is there are some tinny rattles from the case and its not too quiet!

Should I be concerned about this boiler ? My only observation up to yet is there are some tinny rattles from the case and its not too quiet!
yes you should its the same as a baxi solo he only that does have a thermostat do a search on here

list your location ,we are from all over the place so there is always one local to help

get fitter back to sort it out ! who specified this boiler prior to be installed in your dad's home ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Programmer. Thanks for the helpful replies...
Replies
Views
Thanks some good ideas. Just as an aside if we...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks, think I just need the confidence to...
Replies
Views
Excellent thank you for taking the time to...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
There's nothing wrong with external boilers...
Replies
Views
Back