Potterton Gold Combi Query | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Potterton Gold Combi Query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

danblade

Hi,

I wondered if someone might be able to help with a couple of problems we've been experiencing with our combi boiler - a Potterton Gold 24 HE, installed in our loft.

We had a magnaclean filter fitted last year after requiring a replacement heat exchanger due to build up of sludge (the boiler had only been in place for 2 years but we live in a '70s house with original radiators) and everything seemed fine - I checked the filter every few months and cleaned it as advised by our installer, though as there appeared to be a relatively small amount of buildup, they suggested that it could be left for a longer period and I was confident that the system should be fine for a while.

Anyway, over the last couple of weeks, we've started hearing the banging sounds from the boiler again that we had prior to the last heat exchanger being replaced, though as before, it doesn't happen every time the boiler comes on (though it is usually first thing in the morning). In fact, if we turn the heating off when it's making the banging noise and then back on again, there is no noise and the system functions fine. The return of the noise also coincided with the exceptionally cold weather we've had and a pressure drop in the system. Since I've repressurised it, we've had no further noise and I hoped that I might have solved the problem (though it has only been just over a week)!

However, the other day I noticed that the floorboards under the boiler are slightly damp and so I'm now starting to think that we might have a bigger problem. I've left a tray under the boiler in case of drips ever since the leak we had last year (same time as the heat exchanger but apparently it was a seal that had gone from somewhere) and no water is accumulating in that, which makes me wonder if it's something to do with the pipework coming out of the boiler that sits behind the tray. It's difficult for me to tell as the pipes are wrapped in insulation foam and I'm worried about damaging anything further by diving in! Additionally, it doesn't appear to be a lot of water so it's difficult to trace its origin. I'm naively hoping that it might be condensation from the cold weather but I know that's really unlikely and so would appreciate any opinions as to what this is likely to be?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Could be almost anything.

You need a gsr in to look at your boiler. We cannot and will not give advice on the installation or repair of boilers for your own safety.

Please go to Gas Safe Register | Ensure your gas engineer is registered. or post a thread in the 'I'm looking for a plumber / gas engineer' section of these forums remembering to include your location. [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

If you are gsr please increase your post count to 10+ then send a pm to either Gas man or Redsaw who will then check you and then give you access to the gsr private forum.

Thank you.

http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/central-heating-forum/42241-notice-gas-safety-related-advice.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

U
Thanks
Replies
Views
Uzible
U
Yes everything worked fine before. Is there a...
Replies
Views
I have a baxi neta tec combi ga24, if it was a...
Replies
Views
update on this, attached the Kinetico HE water...
Replies
Views
Hi Have a Glow worm Flexicom 30cx-Installed...
Replies
Views
Back