Potterton kingfisher 2. no hw or is there? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Potterton kingfisher 2. no hw or is there? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi

My last job last night, i arrive there and the customer says he has no hw. CH is ok. I go to his timer and turn the HW on boiler fires up.

After 10 minutes the water is coming out the tap lukewarm.

After writing out my paperwork, i'm speaking to him and he tells me he was away for a few days and when he came back he had no hw, i told him he has to give it time to heat the cylinder, he seems under the impression that within 10 minutes he will have a whole cylinder of steaming hot water. As it wasn't he would turn it off again assuming it was not working.

I don't have time to hang around on these jobs (insurance), so the fact the water was coming through warmish after a little wait i can only put it down to user error.

Im not really familiar with this set up. there as no diverter valve from what i could see. 28mm pipe at the cylinder so is this gravity hw?

Anyone else more clued up? Why would this system give problems on HW?

Sounds like gravity hot water and pumped heating.
Always check the expansion tank ball valve has not stuck. Heating still works but the gravity circuit struggles to circulate.

Last edited by a moderator:
As above, it's gravity hot water. It will take about 45 mins to heat from cold.
Always ask the customer first. Has it been ok in the past, how long have you lived here, has anyone worked on the system lately. etc. You can save a lot of time doing this.
After that turn the hot water heating on, check if the boiler fires. While its heating, go in the loft and check the water in the f&e. Give the ball valve a push down to make sure. Then go to the cylinder and see if the flow (top) coil connection is getting hot. If it is then he is not leaving it long enough.

As above, it's gravity hot water. It will take about 45 mins to heat from cold.
Always ask the customer first. Has it been ok in the past, how long have you lived here, has anyone worked on the system lately. etc. You can save a lot of time doing this.
After that turn the hot water heating on, check if the boiler fires. While its heating, go in the loft and check the water in the f&e. Give the ball valve a push down to make sure. Then go to the cylinder and see if the flow (top) coil connection is getting hot. If it is then he is not leaving it long enough.

Thanks, checked top connection - getting hot. I did say leave it on for an hour and there should be plenty of hot water.

If i don't hear back this weekend, i will have to assume he wasn't leaving it on long enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Many thanks, I have a probe thermometer so...
Replies
Views
Oh dear, welcome to the forum, I will move...
Replies
Views
Thanks for the confirmation. Having watched...
Replies
Views
Something as simple as turning the power off...
Replies
Views
Ask the installer to get his supplier to...
Replies
Views
Back