Potterton Netheat works and heats radiators but no hot water | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Potterton Netheat works and heats radiators but no hot water in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

G

Geminineil

So.. we have a 20 year old (approx) Netaheat Potterton that comes on everyday and seems to be working okay.. the radiators get hot etc... BUT it isn't heating the hot water from the hot water taps (anywhere in the 2 bed house).

We do have an immersion heater that plugs in to I think the same hot water tank (I think it is the same one anyway) and only by using that can we get hot water.

Any suggestions as to what might be wrong and also how exactly does the potterton heat the radiators without heating the hot water in the taps?

Thanks in advance.. :)

it will depend which system you have if you have a gravity system it will be the header tank ball valve jammed up and no water in tank
if fully pumped id say it will be a motorised valve
the water in the heating system runs through a coil in the cylinder to heat the water to your taps
neta heats were a great boiler in their day but all nearing the end of their lifes now

Last edited:
we do get water from the hot water taps just that it isn't hot.... or rather doesn't get hot... when switching on the 'immersion heater (or plugging in) then the water gets hot..

we do have a 'header' tank in the attic (3rd floor) but I am fairly certain that is for the radiators...

1) is there another header tank for the hot water?
2) is the immersion heater a separate element within the hot water tank (ie separate to the hot water system pipes)

inside the cylinder is the water that comes out of your taps within that is a coil that heating water runs through to heat the surronding water the imersion is a big version of whats in the bottom of your kettle and alsoheats the water

okay.. that is what I thought... so the two means of heating the hot water are within the same cylinder? -
is the header likely to be just above the cylinder or on the next floor above?

our Pottereton is on the ground floor - is the valve part of the boiler itself or is the valve next to the water cylinder (which is on the first floor)

As steve, try the smaller cistern the ball valve could be seized and tank dry, move the ball valve up and down a couple of times and let it fill up again

and to make clear... 2 storey house with a 3rd 'attic'
ground floor... Potterton boiler
1st floor cylinder with immersion heater lead and plug and pumps that I have seen...
2nd floor attic - radiator header tank - and not seen a 2nd tank there but there could be...

Thanks for your advice on this.. very much appreciated.. if I could ask one final question.. how can I find out if the system is fully pumped or gravity? is there an easy way?

I do have a header tank in our attic that definitely feeds the radiators.. as I replaced radiator taps and put a 'bung' in that header tank which created a vacuum and I was able to work on radiators but does that header tank also feed the hot water pipes that go through the cylinder?

and - how do I do this? "but my guess would be motorized valve, try opening manually"

Motorized valve looks like a metal rectangular box, it has a lever on one side which can be moved over and jammed open
If in doubt youtube could be helpful

Similar plumbing topics

At the moment when you move the hot water...
Replies
Views
K
  • Question
Has the solid fuel boiler ever heated the...
Replies
Views
Sometimes the connection point of the cylinder...
Replies
Views
So, (Lever on Auto) does HW work on its own...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yeah will deffo try I’ve got a strong magnet...
Replies
Views
Back