Potterton profile 50e boiler help | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Potterton profile 50e boiler help in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I've 2 questions:

1. My boiler is potterton profile 50e. At the moment the boiler is mounted on a brick wall and flue is directly out through the wall (same level as boiler). As I've an extension project coming up, can I modify the flue so it travels vertically upwards by 500 cm and then be taken out through the wall? Is there any provision on this boiler to take the flue out from top instead of side facing the wall?

2. There was a blockage in the pipes 2 years ago and rusty sludgy water in the FE tank. The system was drained a few times, treated with cleaner and inhibitor was added. I also fitted a MAGNACLEAN on the return pipe to boiler (which is generally full of rust when cleaned). Of late, I've had to drain the system again. When I checked the FE tank, the water was quite red/ rusty again. What could cause this despite the system fitted with a magnaclean and loaded with inhibitor? Could it be a pump over?

Could someone please explain.
Thanks.

Seriously you need an experienced Gas Safe Engineer to sort out your system problem, & you just can't modify flues !!! unless it's in the Manufactures instructions & you use their fittings only & then It can only be done by a G S registered eng.
The engineer will be able to give you sound advice, unfortunately it could be a new boiler & sealed system, but make sure they chemically or powerflush the system before installing

Sorry if I mentioned that I was going to add the flue myself. It would be a job for the GS engineer ofcourse, but most of them won't know specifics about a boiler this old, hence I asked this question.
If a flue cannot be added, then I would need to move the boiler to a new wall and that would be again with a GS engineer ofcourse.
I suspect most would advise to change the boiler to a new one when I get it moved :(

Any ideas about point 2?

Answer to question No

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi
The manufacturers instructions allow for a vertical route or horizontal route but no elbows on the vertical route. If I remember there was a special order sealing kit for either a lead slate (tiled roof) or a flate plate kit for a flat roof. Either way this is a positive pressure boiler so would pump products of combustion into yor breathing space if the flue had a leak left!!
If your heating engineer doesn't have the instructions I got mine at goto gas docs but this was a fairly common boiler.

I doubt any flue parts will be available for your boiler for what you want doing. Best off getting a new boiler to be honest as your one will be getting on a bit anyway.

As for the system, sounds like its sucking it air from somewhere. Could be a small leak or not piped correctly or maybe a blockage in the pipework somewhere.

Thank you PhilJones and mfgs for ultra helpful replies.

I might go for a new boiler after extension if the budget allows (will welcome advice on a new reliable, long-life boiler).

I already found a heavy blockage on a 22mm pipe near the pump 2 years ago and fixed that. Maybe I need to check that again.

Air leak in my system is possible as every time I bleed, 1 or 2 rads upstairs have few seconds of air flow before water drips.

I've heard there are some special chemicals/ sealents that clean the system properly as well as well as fix small leaks (I cannot find any).
Can you please advise on this front?

Many thanks once again.

As above, I suspect its not piped correctly in regards to pump/ expansion pipe and feed. The trouble with a lot of the power flushing companies about is that's all you get, a power flush. If a system is blocked with sludge and cistern full of rusty water the pipe work will need altering to stop this happening again. I would suggest a new boiler and converting to a sealed system and a good power flush beforehand.
New boilers Remeha or Viessmann or Intergas to name the best that I have found, most plumbers have their own favs though

Thank you PhilJones and mfgs for ultra helpful replies.

I might go for a new boiler after extension if the budget allows (will welcome advice on a new reliable, long-life boiler).

I already found a heavy blockage on a 22mm pipe near the pump 2 years ago and fixed that. Maybe I need to check that again.

Air leak in my system is possible as every time I bleed, 1 or 2 rads upstairs have few seconds of air flow before water drips.

I've heard there are some special chemicals/ sealents that clean the system properly as well as well as fix small leaks (I cannot find any).
Can you please advise on this front?

Many thanks once again.

A blocked cold feed, where it tees into the system is the most likely place for a blockage. Could be worth checking that, or post a picture of your pump/feed/vent arrangement for us to see if it is piped correctly.

Fernox do good system cleaners and leak sealers, both or which can be added either through the F&E tank or your radiators. But you need to find the cause first, to see what action you need to take.

In the long run a new boiler and sealed central heating system would be best as ecowarm said. Sealed systems are more efficienct and much easier to maintain and dont have the same sludge issues as vented systems, I would personally recommend Worcester Bosch for boilers, I have fitted loads over the years and had very few problems with them soo far.

Thank you ecowarm and mfgs,

Some of my friends swear by Vaillant combi boilers and a few have advised to go for mega-flow?? Please comment on these 2 options when you have a few minutes spare.

I am attaching a few pictures to show my existing system. The last one with a black circle along an elbow on the RHS of pump was where I found some solid blockage. That part has now been renewed with a new pipe cutout along with compression fittings.

I would greatly appreciate if someone in a good mood could educate me how this vented system works and why it leads to more problems than a sealed system.

Many thanks and best regards.

29062010258.jpg28062010243.jpg
29062010273.jpg

Hello again,

I've been visited by a couple of gas safe plumbers who have also advised for a new combi boiler on the new wall.
I have been offered Vaillant ECOTEC 831 PLUS with 2 years part and labour warranty and BAXI 33GA with 5 years parts and labour BUT £350 cheaper.

Any advice on which one to go for? Both of them have also advised that I can choose any other boiler that I think would be better and they would be happy to fit that. So I am open to suggestions. I've a smallish 3 bed mid-terrace house with 2 showers and a bath (a shower has been added in downstairs single storey extension). What I am looking for:
1. Reasonable price
2. Reliable.
3. Efficient.

Your advice as always is highly appreciated!

If you are looking at length of warranty (Parts & Labour) Sime Murelle EV HE 35, (10 years) 14 lts per min on hot water, price has come down on these, fitted a few over last 12mths no bad reports as yet.

Thanks jtsplumbing, I found your boiler here as cheapest:
Sime Murelle 35 combi and flue pack | Sime 35 boiler pack

Any idea how much would be installation cost if someone was to replace a system conventional boiler with this one at the same location? All pipework is in place: two 15mm hot and mains water, two 22mm CH flow and return and one 22mm gas pipe. Please advise a price that includes powerflush.
Cheers...

Thanks jtsplumbing, I found your boiler here as cheapest:
Sime Murelle 35 combi and flue pack | Sime 35 boiler pack

Any idea how much would be installation cost if someone was to replace a system conventional boiler with this one at the same location? All pipework is in place: two 15mm hot and mains water, two 22mm CH flow and return and one 22mm gas pipe. Please advise a price that includes powerflush.
Cheers...

If you are unsure of price, get more quotes from local engineers. Any figures quoted on here arent likely to be accurate without seeing the job.

Hard to say, Boiler / Power flush, You have got Magnaclean so that can be reused, be thinking up to £2500.00 but only ball park, depends what installer wants to do job ! Get 3 quotes but tell them what boiler you want & make sure they are GSR or you will not get the 10 year warranty, you will find out why when boiler is fitted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I'm going to go tomorrow to switch it off for...
Replies
Views
P
Tricky situation for you. Boiler shouldn't...
Replies
Views
Its easy to check for a leak, just tie up the...
Replies
Views
I have a baxi neta tec combi ga24, if it was a...
Replies
Views
Physically next to the pump, 22mm pipe goes up...
Replies
Views
Back