potterton profile | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss potterton profile in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

ej-ay

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi guys:smilewinkgrin: thanks for all your previous replies, you dont know how helpful they were, anyway i got called to a house, and the lady complained that the radiator was hot despite the fact that the room stat wasnt calling for heat....
I got there it was a conventional system three port valve and i checked it by pushing the valve manually and observing and it returned but not fully...i checked with my multimeter, there wasnt any power on the live switch...
would changing the divertor valve solve the problem, or the programmer, and room stat also have to be changed? thanks for your relies

Sounds like the diverter is passing ej-ay :) Is it a radiator near the diverter and not an old 'towel rail' radiator?

She probably has had this problem for years ( or inherited the problem ). The hot water return is not cut back far enough and is tracking otherwise other rads would warm up. IMHO
Tell her to get her purse out, or turn rad off. :smilewinkgrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
may be she inherited the problem but she isnt very happy at the moment, specially when i left without fixing it...

Hi diamondgas i dint ask her which rad was getting hot, but we established that it was the divertor valve was the problem, so fixing should solve the problem or do we need to change the rrom stat and programmer too. thanks:smilewinkgrin:

Diverter should solve the problem if it's passing ej-ay. On h/w only the valve should be at rest. Turn the spur off and see if it moves any further back to rest position. That;ll tel you whether it's getting any external power moving it IMHO

Last edited by a moderator:
If you run on hot water only from cold you will be able to feel if the 3 port is passing or not. Are you sure the rad isnt on the primaries? Could also be reverse circulating if the hot water return isnt piped up correctly.

As Tipintim and mfgs said feel the pipes at the valve and you will know if it is passing but if it is only the 1 or 2 rads it is probably back circulation. Check by having it on for HW and feeling the pipes on the rad to see which is hottest. Turn the heating on and if it is the opposite one the system needs altering.

The customer will be even more not happy if you change the valve and it still does it and even worse if you swap the programmer and stat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Its a Combi. Its a Worcester Bosch Greenstar...
Replies
Views
Programmer. Thanks for the helpful replies...
Replies
Views
Physically next to the pump, 22mm pipe goes up...
Replies
Views
Set of new electrodes should sort it. Had a...
Replies
Views
pop the prog off and insert a link wire from...
Replies
Views
Back